The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gizmo idea

Digsy

Just wondering about this today. Since I don't have the necessary knowledge to do it myself I thought I would bounce it off you chaps.

I am a forgetful idiot. I also drive an automatic SZ, which although wonderful for cruising on duallies with OD on, is a little bit (and I mean *little* bit) slower off the mark than I would like. However, with O/D off it seems ok.

So, drive it everywhere with O/D off then! I hear you all cry. Trouble is I do a lot of steady cruising miles and I am rather keen to keep hold of my nice MPG figure which seems to be calculating out at 26 to 28 MPG.

So, turn it on and off when you want! You all shout. This brings me back to the first line. I am a forgetful idiot. I will need reminding when to turn it on and off.

So...why not have a gizmo that monitors what speed you are doing and when, say, you have done 70MPH or more for more than a minute, it flashes the O/D OFF light at you for five seconds to remind you to hit the button? Then, when you drop below, say, 40MPH for more than a minute, it flashes the light again to remind you to turn O/D back off.

Any thoughts..? Cries of "you should have bought an RZ will *not* be appreciated! :-)

You *could* do it very easily with a derivative of Pete's speed converter. The issue being time and effort. Pete's extremely busy, what with his day job and his own business, so this kind of feature needs to be in demand for him to spend the time on it.

I'm only inclined to do something like that if I want one, 'cos I'm busy too and selfish like that :biggrin:

I guess you should spend your pennies on an "Improve Your Memory" book.

A simple fix would be to fit a slightly louder exhaust, then you will easily notice that you are way up in the rev range. I certainly dont forget to put it in to overdrive when driving my car, but then I use the auto pretty much like a manual almost all the time so I just have a routine when changing gear.

JB