The mkiv Supra Owners Club

help reqd - funny noise

nickyboy

Hi all,

Took my Supe out this evening and got down the road and it is making a funny ticking noise... hard to describe but if you imagine a bit of newspaper stuck to a tyre and then the noise that would make on the road then it sounds a bit like that.

Thought it might be the wheels at first but they are obviously turning a lot faster than the ticking. It gets faster as I go faster.

There is a lot of static noise from whatever is in the back right of the engine bay as you stand at the front of the car but this may be normal - I have no idea.

Any ideas? Came straight home and not keen to take it out again at the mo...

Nick

well there is kinda way to rule out the belt. (un scientifically)

You say it gets faster with speed.

For instance at 60mph the ticking faster then 30mph. Does it make a difference what gear you in. E.g... if at 60mph in 5th is the ticking the same as 60mph in 3rd....

The belts will be going round faster if in 3rd. Hope that makes sense to you :blink:

Yeh that makes sense - I'm in auto so will switch to manual and see if the ticking is at a different speed depending on the gear I'm in but staying at the same speed.

So if the ticking changes speed when I change gear (but I don't change speed) then it is a belt... right?

Yeh that makes sense - I'm in auto so will switch to manual and see if the ticking is at a different speed depending on the gear I'm in but staying at the same speed.

So if the ticking changes speed when I change gear (but I don't change speed) then it is a belt... right?

well thats my theory :looney:

makes sense to me anyway!! wouldnt be first time ive been wrong though :D

Problem solved!! Tried gear changes that evening but did not affect it. Ticking carried on getting faster as car sped up.

Went out next morning to have a good look and car didn't quite look right. Tyre flat and found metal plate from building site next door stuck on+in it.

Less than ideal!! But less costly than engine problem I guess....

Pretty large - about the size of the palm of my hand. But the tyre wasn't flat until the next day so luckily didn't drive on it flat and risk damaging the rims.

First thing I did was check the tyres when I heard the noise so not quite sure how I missed it, unless I was unlucky enough to have actually stopped with it on the tarmac where I couldn't see/feel it!