The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving Tips - Don't want a replay

whitesupratt

Hi Guys, The likely hood is, that if the lord is looking down on me favourably tomorrow, my supra will be all fixed and back on the road! :clap:

Now before I bought the supe, co-incidently I had recently completed a course at silverstone in RWD. SO I know the facts, and the 'in an ideal world' about controlling one of this monsters, but so I dont do exactly the same again, Any tips to keeping a supra on the road?

Especialy now its winter, I battered mine in the summer!:swear:

In reality, get a run-around which is what im doing. Keep the salt, damage and miles off the Supra.

If you have to, drive very carefully, use 1 higher gear than normal and enter corners very slowly becuase the weight of the Supra pushes a lot of momentum over wide tyres resulting in reduced grip when its wet, cold, salty. Keep the revs down, set yourself a personal limiter that you dont go over.

Keep your foot off the gas, and your eyes on the road ;)

Seriously any powerful RWD car is going to be a handful in the winter, especially if its wet as well.

Try to imagine that there is an egg attached to the sole of your right foot, any hard hard or sudden movements are going to break it. That way you keep your accelleration and braking very smooth, just the way you need it for adverse conditions.

Think that your driving on a skating rink, most of the time you will be :)

It really is all about smoothness, I've seen some experienced drivers keep a RWD car going round a track at insane speeds in the wet, others were spinning at every corner.

Basically if you expect it to slide at every opportunity, and drive making a positive effort to not let it, you'll be doing your best to keep out of trouble.

In lots of ways you've got a great advantage with an N/A, at least the turbo(s) don't kick in at just the wrong moment :(

To sum up in as few words as possible

Don't drive like a tit :D

Other than drivers ability / smoothness....

Tyres, as in quality / condition / pressure - as the rear tyres only have about the same contact area as two pairs of size 9 shoes, its only fair to give that contact the best chance it can get of hanging on.

1937_7lo.jpg

They can just catch you out at the best of times. Just be alert and ready to react. 3 Years if ownership and mine nearly caught me out just a hour ago taking it easy on a roundabout and the back end went. Steered into the skid no harm done.

Well only to my undies and Martin R's sat next to me. Just need to treat the car with the respect it needs

Guest Cuthbert

Off boost all the way. Damp roads don't always 'look' damp, but will cause you to break traction. As said before, drive very smoothly with no sudden movements. If you have a trail of cars behind you waiting to overtake, you're doing ok. let them overtake & then carry on at a nice safe pace.