The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK alarm power drain

JohnA

As other people may have realised, the std UK alarm is a bitch of a battery drain.

Leave it for a few weeks unused and the battery's dead meat.

Mine was unusable despite a fully charged newish batter (Bosch FFS) and sitting in the garage. 2 weeks is all it took.

The alarm wasn't even on.

Well, I had to spend 45 minutes sitting in the car and I had nothing else to do so I started reading the owner's manual:rtfm: :read:

It says that the alarm arms passively a bit after you turn the ignition off. As a result the drain is well over 100mA (I measured it) so it's no wonder the battery goes belly up after a week or two.

It also says that if you want to turn the passive arming off, you should press the left button of the remote (thus arming it explicitly) and then press it again to disarm it.

Now with temps being so low, it may be worth a try:OK: for those keeping the supes in garages (kinda stupid to have the alarm off otherwise:p )

• 4 months later...

Had to take the battery off to change the oil filter, so I thought "good chance to measure the drain of this so-called superior UKSpec POS":rolleyes:

110mA is the drain when it's idle (no alarm, nothing!)

Quite a bit, no wonder the battery needs recharging all the freaking time.

I started pulling fuses one by one to see if there is any one culprit that needs smacking.

RAD1 is worth 20mA

DOME is worth 10mA

With both pulled it's still draining to boogery at 80mA:(

Any ideas?