The mkiv Supra Owners Club

De-limiting .......confused

matt

I  tried to sort out a delimiting problem today, thinking its related to the K/M ph conversion

On removing the dash and clocks I found no little box tapped into the odo or speedo as expected.

There was no evidence of any tampering to the loom at the ecu 'cept my own (FCD/SLD)

Where else is a likely place to put a converter ?Or more likely , what other means could have been used to convert ??

Any clues ??

TIA

Hey Paul

Thanks for the offer.

But to try and make things a little clearer........

I can't find a converter device or any evidence of any butchering of the wiring looms at clocks or ECU

I was expecting to find one of these,devices (like Mr Betts eg) and then see how this was being  used to defeat the 120 limit originally.

My intention then, was to return this back to stock and use the HKS SLD to remove the limiter

When I bought the car it didn't have a limiting problem , this has developed from occasionally working to not working at all

The Speedo and Odo have been fine all thro'

So now before I can put the dash back in (just trimmed in leather)

I want to make sure it doesn't have to come out again immediately......

I thought the only way convert from km was to use a scaling device

and as I can't find one where I'd expect to find  one. ........  

where else would one be hidden??

Or can the clocks be modded to negate the need for the lil box I was expecting to see???

I've heard some people advocate putting a divider on the output of the speed sensor. This may have been done to yours. If so you need to remove it and fit a divider box.

Yours,

J

Quote: from Ash on 7:58 am on Oct. 1, 2001[br]

I've heard some people advocate putting a divider on the output of the speed sensor. This may have been done to yours. If so you need to remove it and fit a divider box.

Yours,

J

Hence my comment "Oh Sh1t!".

In theory you *could* mode the Speedo, the odo's not a problem, but I've not heard of it being done. I'd be more inclined to trace the signal back for Sensor No 1. If they'v messed around down there, I'd also check they haven't screwed around witrh Sensor No 2 also.

Having restored it to stock, and as you have the HKS SLD, I'd use the fitted divider to modify the speedo *only* (on the flexi-PCB as I did), convert the odo to MPH and fit the HKS SLD.

Worst case scenario, your divider is iffy and your Speedo occasionally 'blips'; simple fix and everything else carries on working fine in the meantime.

1. use the

Pete Betts once spent about 3 hours looking for a little box of tricks...they had infact mounted it on the gearbox itself so you might want to start looking there. Im not sure how it was wired in but Pete Betts might remember, just ask him about Tony Wrights car...

JB

Quote: from branners on 9:35 am on Oct. 1, 2001[br]Pete Betts once spent about 3 hours looking for a little box of tricks...they had infact mounted it on the gearbox itself so you might want to start looking there. Im not sure how it was wired in but Pete Betts might remember, just ask him about Tony Wrights car...

JB

Good place to put sensitive electronics in a non-all-weather casing hmm?