The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Damn, blast, I've got a flat

UltraFlynn

Must have driven over something sharp on the A12 this morning because I felt a bump and then heard a thump as something hit the wheel arch liner. I get to the station and my rear/drivers-side tire is p!ssing air out of it.

So now I have a couple of questions: -

1. I have a hydraulic jack at home, where is the jacking point for one of these?

2. How likely is that this tire can be repaired? It's not that old and the puncture appears to be clean. i.e. theres a very small hole and not a tear of anything.

3. What's the maximum speed I can do on the space saver?

4. What pressure is the space saver supposed to be at?

Thanks in advance.

1. There are rails along the sides of the car under the sill that are for jacking.

2. Depends if the puncture is near the edge of the tyre or in the middle I think. If it's on the tread then it's fine but near the wall is a no for repairs.

3. Dunno, suppose it depends on the speed rating of the tyre that's on it, but I wouldn't go racing any Scoobies or anything!!

4. Just put it in at 30 or something, it won't be on long enough to worry about I shouldn't think.

Space Savers max is about 45.... i think..... but i wouldn't even go THAT

fast if it's on the Soop. The size difference is PHENOMONAL (sp?)

I think it's more like 50/60 psi 'cos it's VERY narrow and has to hold a lot of

weight ??

YEAH, as long as in the tread and a clean hole NOT a tear should be fixable.

Lot of peeps on here would say DON'T but if it's done properly i realy don't see

any problem.

PERSONALLY, i'm gonna take me Space Saver out and use the Sh*ttyFoam

things and an electric pump...... i HATE SPACE SAVERS.... and it also means

having to put the main wheel in me boot ! ! ! ! !

[my local garage said they don't mind the Foam Sh*t TOO much - others

add a charge for cleaning the tyre out first ?!]

Fat-Tyre-Lover.

I think the space saver should be run at at least 50 psi, but I'm sure that is is marked on the sidewall.

I believe that 50mph is the maximum recommended speed for space saver use, but personally, if its on the back especially, I'd try to keep my speed less than this until I'd repaired or replaced the normal tyre

Thanks for the help guys.

One question about jacking though:

"There are rails along the sides of the car under the sill that are for jacking."

Arn't these for the standard jack?

Where should I jack using a big hydraulic jack? Bear in mind that I have Veilside skirts and the car is lowered.

Garages still use them on mine (lowered with Veilside skirts).

Usually need to get the standard jack under first to lift it, then put the big one in and do the rest (lower it back onto the standard jack!!!! I've got a cracked skirt because of not doing this!!!).

Otherwise go under the diff at the back, or on the subframe on the front (harder to get to!).

DO NOT jack up on the sill returns using a standard saddle on a trolley jack!!! You need a load spreader. Jack up under the front cast X member or the middle of the diff at the rear.

I'm going to jack the car up on the rear diff (having studied the workshop manual).

Can I put the jack straight onto that or do I need to put a bit of wood between the jack and the diff?