The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tuning for cheapskates

Gazboy

Changing the exhaust is essential, and its the 1st you should do if you want to go bpu IMO

The standard system is sooooo restrictive, if you put a aftermarket exhaust and decat(plus restricor ring, unless you have a uk spec) on your soop it would unleash loads of power and your car would b much more responsive,it'll be a completely different animal :D i was amazed in the difference when i did mine.

you'll also need a Fcd as your likely to hit fuel cut at 1bar once you remove your standard system and cat.

You can get quiet aftermarket exhausts, but the name escapes me...i'll have a look on the net and post the names :D

I think this is one of those questions Gaz that doesn't really have a real answer. Personally i'd go Backbox, decats, fcd, plugs, then either boost controller or fmic. Also gauges are a worth while investment. Boost before anything else is done if you havn't yet. EGT gauge when decats could be usefull. Think if you go onto mkiv.com they list what they think.

Fit colder plugs first and a boost gauge if you don't already have one.

Then Decat and see what boost you're now making.

Then a FCD if now required. The Thor FCD is preferred to the GReddy one.

Next, fit a more free flowing exhaust and a FCD if not already installed.

Add a restrictor plate if boost is now too high.

Add bleed valve or EBC if boost is still not as high as you want. (unlikely on a J car)

Check fueling on a Dyno or wideband and upgrade fuel pump if necessary or just do it anyway for insurance.

Cheers Jake.

"with the bpu installed, you can expect to obtain approximately 370-410 rear wheel horsepower (rwhp). damn, you gotta love the supra tt!!"

RWHP????? I wouldn't have expected to make that at the crank!

US horses are a bit weedier than our British thoroughbreds :donkey: Actually the US uses a slightly different hp measurement to the UK, which is why their figures often look exagerated.

Running 1.2bar with all neccessary BPU mods, you'll be looking at around 375-400bhp at the flywheel, NOT the wheels.

You could decat and leave the original exhaust on and run say at 1.1bar. However the stock exhaust is quite restrictive, so you *may* see high exhaust gas temperatures. You could try a full decat first and add a Boost and Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge, so you can monitor things.

A more free flowing aftermarket exhaust will allow the turbos to spool up a bit quicker and make the car more responsive, although it will also be a lot noiser. Suggest you try to get a ride in a decatted Supra with an exhaust fitted and see if you can live with the noise.

ie.

1. Fit decat pipes, FCD, Boost and EGT gauge, cooler plugs and bleed valve.

2. This should raise the boost, if you need to raise higher then you could fit a bleed valve.

3. Monitor exhaust temps, if running high fit a back box or full cat back system.

try to get a ride in a decatted Supra with an exhaust fitted and see if you can live with the noise.
I couldn't live without it!

I put one of my cats back on for the MoT test but the car was so quiet and felt so sluggish I couldn't wait to take it off again.

Guest Terry S
Can't remember- red with a trial rear bumper.

Would love to go for a blast in yours! I work nights in Watford, so shouldn't be too hard to meet up on an early morning, or evening????

Ah Adams, thats a budget single on stock 440's.

anytime mate TBH, just give me some notice.