The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Failed MOT :(

ivan

Front tyres worn on inner edge - tracking needs doing. :(

And the bane of everyone's life - emissions! CO level was way too high on fast idle.

So she's off to Triton tomorrow to see what they can do about the levels. I'll put the front cat in the boot in case that's what's needed but I'm hoping new lambda sensors will sort things.

And 2 new Toyos being fitted and tracking sorted on Saturday.

The real buggerance is that under the new rules they're gonna charge me for a full retest on Monday. :rtfm:

Oh Bugger. Just what I didn't need just before Xmas. :complain:

Ken

I use Triton myself for most things on Tim's recommendation, but unfortunately they didn't do the test as it's a two day stay whenever I leave it there (I finish after they close).

So I used a place in Verwood that's just 200 yds from the office instead. Because they're not doing the work they're going to re-charge. :(

And because the tyres aren't getting sorted until Saturday I can't ask Triton to test it either.

Next year it's Triton all the way! Sod all this messing about. :)

Oh, the 2nd cat is still in so she should have been OK. Just my bad luck I guess.

They said since it MoT testing went computerised and linked to the DVLA they have no leeway with giving longer periods for free retests 'cos the DVLA would easily be able to see that more than 24 hours had passed between tests. They showed me the DVLA document which lists what does and doesn't qualify for the free retest and it clearly said that after 24 hours you must pay for the retest.

They said since it MoT testing went computerised and linked to the DVLA they have no leeway with giving longer periods for free retests 'cos the DVLA would easily be able to see that more than 24 hours had passed between tests. They showed me the DVLA document which lists what does and doesn't qualify for the free retest and it clearly said that after 24 hours you must pay for the retest.

Thinking about this, could a garage do u a "pre" mot ?

basically do all the checks but not issue a cert unless it passed?

Then u could sort everything then pop it straight thru :clap:

Thanks for cheering me up Peter :(

Mine's been lowered, but Tim had the whole alignment & tracking done at the time so I hope it's not a long term problem.

Dropped the car into Triton this morning and am now pootling around in my son's 1.2 Punto :haha:

Triton are going to check the emissions and put the 1st cat back on if necessary to get the readings right. (I've also asked them to change the oil as it's been 5000 miles since last done.)

Jake, free retests can still be carried out if the garage wishes to do so. The DVLA form even mentions it and calls it "for marketing purposes". The form doesn't say it must be paid for, just that it must be a FULL retest instead of just testing the bits that failed. So most garages will charge now unless you're a favoured customer...

Cheers,

Ken

It didn't handle well in a straight line before compared to now DB. :(

But now - WOW - what a difference!

Two new tyres (Proxes T1-R) and the tracking done for free. It was at +4. Simon at Seaview said he's surprised the car wasn't hopping all over the place. A quick burn down the Upton bypass and the car feels sooo much better. I'll see how it goes over the next week or so and check the tyres for any rubbing then. Cheers for the heads-up on Micheldever - where abouts are they?

Triton put the 1st cat back on Friday and it made absolutely no difference to the emissions. So their going to replace the lambda sensor on Tuesday and try again. They said there wasn't anything wrong with anything else.

I might as well let them put it through the MoT while they're at it seeing as I've got to pay again anyway...

Leave it with triton for an mot pass chap.I don't know if tim did anything post the dyno run he did up at JAE not this time but last time round but it was low on power then. Pete at thor hazarded a guess at a restriction in the exhaust if I remember rightly. This might be tied in with your emissions problems now.

Micheldever tyres is just outside micheldever train station which is 2 shakes of a lambs tail off the a303 about 10 miles this side of the m3.

Well, she's back with a clean bill of health so I'm very happy. :D

Not so happy about what the MoT failure has cost me though.....

Exactly £650! :scare:

£40 for the original MoT.

£235 for 2 new front tyres and tracking.

£375 for the work at Triton. (fit cat, renew O2 sensor, renew exhaust gasket, refit de-cat. Oh and an oil & filter change while they were at it.)

Lastly, the MoT came back with a couple of "advisories":

Front discs wearing. (That'll be the 'ring session I expect ;) )

Suspension components generally starting to corrode.

Rear tyres part worn (no shit Sherlock - it's a Soop. LOL)

Ah well - stuff to look at next year then...

Cheers,

Ken