The mkiv Supra Owners Club

looking to get a supra!! help pls

Guest karlosg

Guest karlosg

Im looking to get a supra , been interested in them for a while and am just about to sell my 300zx that i spent over 20k on !! so cash in pocket.lookin to spend around 10-11k on a T/T buti have A few questions id like help with please b4 i get one.

1) manual or auto ?? what can the auto boxes cope with power wise ??

2) uk or jap ?? i heard the uk ones are the best to go for as they have the bigger injectors, better lights brakes oil cooler ect is this right ??

3) is there a buyers guide as i have NO idea what to look for on these ??

any other info much appreciated, Thanks in advance

Karl

Im looking to get a supra , been interested in them for a while and am just about to sell my 300zx that i spent over 20k on !! so cash in pocket.lookin to spend around 10-11k on a T/T buti have A few questions id like help with please b4 i get one.

1) manual or auto ?? what can the auto boxes cope with power wise ??

2) uk or jap ?? i heard the uk ones are the best to go for as they have the bigger injectors, better lights brakes oil cooler ect is this right ??

3) is there a buyers guide as i have NO idea what to look for on these ??

any other info much appreciated, Thanks in advance

Karl

Hi Karl and :welcome: to teh club

Have a read of the threads in FAQ in Tech section first as you will find all the info you need. Also do a search as we get the same questions at least a couple of times a week, so you should find loads of threads that will give you some good advice.

Oh and get a J-spec ;)

Here we go you'll start another who's car is best thread :devil: :nyah:.

You could get a nice car for around 10k. If you are planning to modify it then i would try and get one with the bigger brakes already fitted as that is probably one of the weak areas of some of the j spec cars. (They are standard on uk cars).

Have a look in the cars for sale section the cars their are owned by members so you are more likely to find a good one, oh and the search button is your friend, their is loads of information just a click away :yes:

Guest karlosg

cheers for the warm welcome guys !! Ive decided on the J-spec 6spd manual. So now its just a case of finding a good one. Looking to spend around the 10k figureso hopefully that should be enough to start with. Basically im after a reliable car for a change as the zed costs far to much to mod and you never know if there is gonna be a problem from day to day . So are the supras as reliable as ive heard then ?? Or are there some major weak points?

I've decided on the J-spec 6spd manual.

You've made the right choice :D :woot:

But as mentioned above it would be worth budgeting for export spec (i.e. UK spec) brakes if it hasn't got them already fitted (some J-Spec cars will have them anyway). Search around, there are threads on here with pics that will help you identify J-Spec 2 pot vs export spec 4 pot brakes :)

anyway good luck with your search!

yeah ok the lights are pants (if they are yellow, fine otherwise) but I think the prices available for brand new glass ones is so cheap now that it's hardly worth worrying about. Worth asking the seller if he would change them for you though of course :) Always worth a try, I wish I'd tried that and asked about the brakes too ;) think I would have been told to f* off though lol

Guest chiefvinso
save yourself the hassle of getting into modding a supra and just buy alex car for a few grand more.

I think the modding is what is fun, do you not like modding?