The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Feeling every bump...

Parksy

Fitted a set of 18s on my car a few weeks back (took some 17s' off). Have been driving it without any probs. However the other half was in the car last night for the first time since the change of wheels and her comment was 'why is the car all "wobbly" ' ?? Reffereing to the how smooth the car was running on the road.

The roads aren't the best up where I live. I put this down to poor road surface, and nowt to do with the wheels (only change since she was last in it).

She has got me thinking now that I may have a wobble on my new wheels?

Got no vibration through the steering wheel or anything?

I'm thinking just the hieght of the car and the hardness of the suspension just makes the car feel all the bumps in the road compared to what she is used to in her motor.

Can't remember how the car felt with the other wheels on though, and her questioning it has got me thinking :(

If you've chosen the same rolling radius (or close to it) then you will have less tyre wall to flex when you go over any bumps. This will translate into your car seat and you will feel it more.

You may also have a few more psi in your tyres than what you did in your last set.

The word 'wobbly' isn't really a good word to interperate.... woblly could mean you're running under pressure on your tyres and the car isn't responding sharply enough.... or 'wobbly' could mean your car is tram-lining all over the place in which over pressure tyres are reacting to the bumps and curvature of the road surface.

I would use the word more 'solid' as in feeling very slight bumps in the road.

Will check the tyre pressures as suggested cheers. Been suggested 31-32psi all round on them and to be honest haven't checked em since they were fitted.

Ideally need to find a nice new road with a good surface and have a play on!!

I know with it being a low car with hard suspension you do feel bumps in the road a lot more than a car with softer suspension and a sitting higher on the road.

It could have been like this all the time but not noticed/been bothered... typical woman mentioning something and putting doubt in your mind :)

YEP !

Had 17's (which were FAIRLY hard), now have 18's (which are STIFFFFFF !!)

on me old TT i had the Jap 16's on first of all and only changed cos of

the need to put UK brakes on. BUT, the 16's road MUCH MUCH nicer :cry:

Big wheels LOOK nice........BUT..................

...ps...

i'm probably gonna go slightly taller ratio - at least on the rears - when it

comes round to "low-tread" time again, just to try to retrieve a tad nicer

ride back.

BU**ER LOWERING the beast at all ! ! ! ! !

you're going to increase the aspect ratio? the previous owner has done that with my supe and now has a 'dragster' look to it!! you might feel less bumps but it'll look daft and possibly place more stress on certain components (could be wrong with that?)

Only SLIGHTLY ! !:p

i think i've got 275/35's on back now.. will try 275/40's or 285/35's or

something like that.

(quite fancy the 285's cos me Anteras are "easy-kerb" now :thumbdown

and YES, i had 285's on the TT with NO PROBLEMS;) )

YES they do look a tad Farmer Pickles, but my back's gettin' old ! !:giveup:

FatGrandadS

YES they do look a tad Farmer Pickles, but my back's gettin' old ! !:giveup:

:rlol:

i'd just choose carefully before you splash out on the rubber mate. When your tyres are that wide it'll make quite a difference to the side wall height when changing ratio. The rears on my 18s were 245/45r18s so they were only really one size too big but almost totally filled the arches.

..or you could increase all four sizes and go monster truck stylee!! :p

(ps, couldn't find the one of the supe with the larger wheels....thought it suited the Zed better anyway!! pmsl)

zcrushsup16yp.jpg

Fitted a set of 18s on my car a few weeks back (took some 17s' off). Have been driving it without any probs. However the other half was in the car last night for the first time since the change of wheels and her comment was 'why is the car all "wobbly" ' ?? Reffereing to the how smooth the car was running on the road.

The roads aren't the best up where I live. I put this down to poor road surface, and nowt to do with the wheels (only change since she was last in it).

She has got me thinking now that I may have a wobble on my new wheels?

Got no vibration through the steering wheel or anything?

I'm thinking just the hieght of the car and the hardness of the suspension just makes the car feel all the bumps in the road compared to what she is used to in her motor.

Can't remember how the car felt with the other wheels on though, and her questioning it has got me thinking :(

What an astute girl. Going over 17 inch, IMO, it's downhill all the way, with ride, handling and feel. If the rims are the wrong offset to boot, then things deteriorate alarmingly, even dangerously. The things people will put up with, ride and handling wise, to run a "stylish" wheel and tyre size amazes me!

My 18's STEER more...errr....'accurately' (?)

but definitely HARDER/STIFFER

[and consequently more 'nervous' over wet drains etc :(

instead of 'giving' they tend to 'skip' or 'jump'....

my Sierra feels more sure in the wet over bumpy roads ! ! !:p ]

Probably wrong offset, a Supra on Lexus 18 inch rims steers without any real issues, as the offset is correct and they don't weigh a ton!

Well, they're Antera 309's and actually listed as fitting Soops.

Also i know several others have/had them.

I'm not saying they feel THAT bad, but more nervous than the 17's.

[and, YES, had full 4-wheel-laser thingamiebob done same time;) ]

The ONLY reason i got them was Carole hates the look of the Toyota

wheels (:complain: ) and couldn't really find any others to match in 17's ??

It's hard enough finding Soop sizes in 18's !!