The mkiv Supra Owners Club

knock knock

monkey3

:(

I'm not sure if the engine is knocking or not, but it is making a knocking noise.

It almost sounds like noisy tappets, but I'm pretty sure it's not that.

It only happens when I put my foot down, so I haven't been doing that very much. If I press the loud pedal very slowly while driving it doesn't happen, but just a little more (not even on loads of boost at all) the noise comes about.

the thing is, the noise doesn't seem to increase in frequency higher up the revs and it only happens in gear.

give me good news please.

also, there was a thread a week or so ago about where to get your car serviced and belt changed etc. but i can't find it.

Just found the link to servicing companies: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=51241

i forgot to say, I don't think it has got worse or even wasn't there when I got the car, I just think that as soon as you hear a new noise, you're constantly listening out for it.

:help:

Is there anyone real techie in my area that would like to have a listen for me?

:tumble:

I'd like to go to the london meet tonight, but I don't know if I'll be able to make it there in time.

sorry, forgot to answer fully.

It ticks over fine, fires fine, has never missed.

It has never stalled, and the only burning smell I've smelt is when trying to brake from many leptons with the shoddy standard jap brakes. I do love the smell of brake pads in the evening. Really got to go bigger. ;)

what would the burning smells be that you are refering to how_supra?

sorry, forgot to answer fully.

It ticks over fine, fires fine, has never missed.

It has never stalled, and the only burning smell I've smelt is when trying to brake from many leptons with the shoddy standard jap brakes. I do love the smell of brake pads in the evening. Really go to go bigger. ;)

what would the burning smells be that you are refering to how_supra?

TBH I don't know, I'm just thinking back to when my engine blew up and it started with some knocking noises in the engine.

I could only hear the tapping when I was applying throttle, the car would stall and I could smell a faint burning smell. But you say your car isn't stalling.

Its not going to hurt to get the oil pressure checked by a garage.

does an engine only detonate on load?
Yes

So that sounds like a definate possibility then.

Well I will try to get to the london meet tonight and hopefully someone will be able to have a listen for me.

Any ideas on that thread about the servicing and cam belt change?