The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Making holes

Digsy

Does anyone have any experience in drilling holes in the bumper mouldings?

I am all set to have a 4xsensor parking aid fitted to replace the 1xsensor one which was already fitted, but malfunctioning. Spurred on by my success in filing out my dash, I have decided to do this job myself too. This means I will have to drill 3 more holes in my beloved car's rear bumper.

The bumper mouldings look to be fairly substatntial 3mm thick GRP or something similar. Hopefully I won't louse the measurements up and drill in the wrong place.

My main concern is paint or laquer flaking off around the hole as the drill bit bites. I will be using a 25mm diameter core cutter. Hopefully some masking tape over the area I want to drill will help prevent this.

Any tips, anyone?

Quote: from Darren Blake on 3:44 pm on Oct. 1, 2001[br]Does anyone have any experience in drilling holes in the bumper mouldings?

I am all set to have a 4xsensor parking aid fitted to replace the 1xsensor one which was already fitted, but malfunctioning. Spurred on by my success in filing out my dash, I have decided to do this job myself too. This means I will have to drill 3 more holes in my beloved car's rear bumper.

The bumper mouldings look to be fairly substatntial 3mm thick GRP or something similar. Hopefully I won't louse the measurements up and drill in the wrong place.

My main concern is paint or laquer flaking off around the hole as the drill bit bites. I will be using a 25mm diameter core cutter. Hopefully some masking tape over the area I want to drill will help prevent this.

Any tips, anyone?

Keep it slow and it'll be fine, at least mine was

(the author accepts no responsibility for any damage caused by unforseen circumstances and his views should be considered suspect at all times).