The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS Air fillter cleaning

monkey76364

So helpfull lol

If i had the cash at the moment I would put the box back in but as I havent im having to stick with what I have !!! :(

You could perhaps flog the HKS intake to some chav on ebay, then buy a second hand box on here for similar money.

Most people who've fitted an 'induction system' have the stock bits at home.

They'd be pleased to get some money out of the old bits, wouldn't they?

When I sold here the APEXi 'filtercharger' it was snapped up within hours.

I also found here a stock box for a tenner or two.

It's worth a try.

Just picked up on this thread...

I got an HKS induction kit on my car as well (was on there when I bought it) and haven't though anything of it really until reading this thread.

They that bad? If so why? Excuse my ignorance but I just enjoy driving cars and know little to nothing of the actual workings of one!! :)

What I have is in the pic below.

http://www.l1f3.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/engine.JPG

Running as you are now is only 1 step away to running without a filter at all :)

What a load of bollox! The foam used in HKS filters is the same as Kawasaki (and most other manufacturers) in their GP motocross bikes. These engines require VERY clean air!

If the filter is cleaned and oiled correctly there is not a filtration issue. The BIG downside to these is the lack of cold air ducting (the reason I don't use them).

THIS TEST says otherwise.

Revspeed is hardly an independant testing faciliaty, Using a vacuum cleaner to perform the test? Wonder how much advertising revenue 'Revspeed' was getting from HKS compared to the others?

I was involved with Factory Motocross teams for a number of years, The budgets were substancial, Filtering air into a $20000 race engine was taken very seriously.

I used foam filters when I was into off-road bikes, well there aren't many options due to lack of space anyway.

If you follow others you may find yourself in dust clouds for long periods of time. It's true that you didn't have to rehone the cylinder after every ride (lol) but you also didn't expect it to seal properly after 20-30K miles. Usually less.

Would I ever use an oily foam as airfilter on the supe? Hell no... (well mine is UKSpec with the MAF, yet another reason to steer clear)

There have been a few documented occurences of Skylines having a lot of particulate erosion on their turbo blades and the cylinder bores, and every one of these had the green mushroom filters on. Can't say I've heard the same with Supras though, but personally I wouldn't touch the HKS filters at all - why chance it? I've seen the piccies and I believe CW has personally fixed two of them, the damage couldn't have been from anything other than lots of bits of grit getting into the air stream.

My K&N is doing a grand job, no blade damage after 1 year, and the Apexi one before that was fine too - no turbo blade damage after 3 years. The PCV oil was always smooth too.

-Ian

I totally agree with all the bin it, burn it, do anything but put it back on the car club.

I confess I had one once, the shame is almost unbearable.:no:

Chavs love them and I got a very good price for mine form a spotty git with an Astra.:)

Just as a quick get you by, wash in petrol, dry naturally, not Nic's method and when dry liberally coat with WD 40 both sides. I would rotate the filter once a week as the oil will gradully sink to the bottom of the filter. You could stretch the feet from a couple of pairs of old tights over it as they will probably improved filtration.:whistle:

Other wise get a new filter.

Okay than from whats been said I can happily assume you all think there kak!! :)

I'm guessing I could buy a standard box that came off it from somewhere which by all accounts would be better, but I assume re-purcashing all that is needed to get it back to standard would be pretty costly?

What would I need to purchase to replace it with something better? Just the actual mushroom part of it or more?

Any links to what would be required would be cool.

I'm guessing I could buy a standard box that came off it from somewhere which by all accounts would be better, but I assume re-purcashing all that is needed to get it back to standard would be pretty costly?

Brand new parts from Toyota are VERY expensive, you should be able to find a second hand one that has been removed, or from a scrapper fairly easily.

I totally agree with all the bin it, burn it, do anything but put it back on the car club.

I confess I had one once, the shame is almost unbearable.:no:

Chavs love them and I got a very good price for mine form a spotty git with an Astra.:)

Just as a quick get you by, wash in petrol, dry naturally, not Nic's method and when dry liberally coat with WD 40 both sides. I would rotate the filter once a week as the oil will gradully sink to the bottom of the filter. You could stretch the feet from a couple of pairs of old tights over it as they will probably improved filtration.:whistle:

Other wise get a new filter.

Do NOT use WD40! These filters are only effective if you use the special filter oil they were designed for (silkolene, BelRay etc) maybe thats why people are having problems? (BTW, I have never used one either!)

I had that on mine to N/A. It was on car when i bought it a few weeks ago and have replaced it with stock box that i casually asked for when i got car as an after thought! I only replaced it due to the comments on this site but have always had concerns about induction kits anyway. Runs about the same i reckon but no noise! I am going to fit an after market exhaust as my mrs mini is louder then my car - dont want it loud but it needs some presence i feel when booting down devon roads with little cottages down each side for that echooooooooo!;)