The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Theoretical Suspension settings

Alex

I've been playing GT1/2/3 on the playstation...in it you have to set up the car and small adjustments can make a huge difference.

Adjustments to the suspension can be

Spring Stiffness,

Ride Height,

Damper Bound,

Damper Rebound,

Camber

Toe in/out

Anti-roll stiffness

All of these can be set differently for the front and rear.

Now I assume that the game designers know a thing or two about setting up the car as its supposed to be one of the most realistic driving games around....it says that adding toe out to the rear wheels will increase the cars ability to change direction and obviously if you add camber mainly at the front you can increase the cars willingness to corner...

I realise this will all mean that you increase tire wear but is it worth doing these minor suspension angle mods for a track day? Obviously only if you have access to the correct equipment and know what your doing?

Or are the vehicle dynamics in GT3 total rubbish and I'm learning how to set up a real car badly!

Regards

Alex H

I run my car with a bit of extra camber as the guys at Northway adjusted it to give improved handling without destroying the tyres. If you get the camber wrong you can easily eat a set of tyres in no time so its best to be careful about what you adjust.

I would suggest that changing the camber for a track day wouldnt be worth it, you can actually be much faster by improving the levels of grip and by shortening the braking distances.

JB

I've got S-02's already they're just a bit thin!

And we know all about my brakes...I'm thinking of investing in some R4 pads specifically for on track use....

The camber wasn't really the big question its the toe out on the rear I have little or no knowledge of. If I can make the car switch direction better without screwing up the tires...chicanes would be much more appealing!

Any toe in or out will decrease straight line stability and increase wear on the tires, but, it can get you into the corners better so that you don't need to work as hard to get it round them!

I think this is a question for our resident guru!

Ash, how would toe in or out affect the handling and tires.

Cheers

Chris Wilson is the guy who knows best in this regard.

Though I doubt whether it would make much difference fine-tuning the suspension for track-day use on a MKIV. I'd simply use the stock settings.

Yours,

J