The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto/manual boxes!

stav

hey everyone, just joined up as i am looking to buy a supra mid next year, as my mate failed to sell me his rx7, after the first time he used it, it blew up and i nearly had to walk 15miles home! lol

but i know this question has prob been asked loads of times, but how much slower is the TT auto compared with the TT manual??

reason i ask, is that alot of the cars in my budget are autos, and wud be stretched to buy a manual at the current time! so is it worth saving for a manual??

cheers guys, cant wait til june..... hehe works bonus time!!!!! :woot:

Guest chiefvinso
SEARCH can you hear it.....its calling, can you hear it..........yes yes SEARCH

its a wonderfull thing

just for the record ignore the above comments....read away my freind

Awww, had a chance to get a bit of banta going there - anyhow, welcome stav

hehe cheers for the welcome, yea, that debate seemed to rage on quite abit, and i knew it wud prob be a touchy subject. i used to have an integra type R and some of the debates would rage on for weeks about VTEC etc! lol

that did give me more insight into what i will prob get tho now!

i was so close to buying my mates RX7 though, and after he got it taxed, the first night he took it out and he only redlined it twice..... then after that, no turbo boost at all, was running like a 1.3 fiesta or something! totally put me off buying one, plus ive heard bad things about them weird wankel rotarys!!!

Welcome :)

I have no opinion on this, honest ;) lol but the manual is great. Maybe testdrive both and see what you think of them. The speed differences are small, you probably want to decide based on what you prefer to drive really, rather than the odd .1 of a second here and there... :)

hehe cheers chilli, after readin that thread linked on this one, i was cringing when i saw u had replied to my thread, hehe!

yea, at the moment, IF i got 3k for my car and with my works bonus, i shud have 7k sitting in the bank, then a lil loan to up the budget would be ok, but yea, im off to test drive some motors this weekend, mainly keighley trade centre........ and b4 anyone says DONT BUY FROM THERE! i know not to! lol

sorry it was cringeworthy - I've stopped envangelising now, I promise :) you know how it is when you're passionate about something - don't think I was alone in my opinion though - but I think that subject has been done to death on here now lol

good luck with your search :) let us know what you think after the test drives :)

yea, alot of the teg forum was stuck on similar topics all the time, got well boring after a while, but that was mainly what was fastest, turbo or supercharged teg's! lol still miss that car and i HATE my vectra with vengeance! :(

will post up what i thought of manual/autos sat nite, that is if i get to drive both kinds!

Stav,

Chilli's right - you need to try them both and really consider what you want to do with the car.

I've had both, started with an auto which I had for 3 years - can't knock 'em - they're fantastic autos, you just concentrate on steering !

But then I got into track days, and felt the auto wasn't floating my boat - so changed to a manual - which is perfect for what I now wanted out of it.

What ever you decide, take your time finding one .... ( as I'm sure others on here will echo :-)) )

cheers for the comments steveL, im off on sat to go look at a few at KTC, i know theyve got a bad rep, but im off anyways, not gonna buy anything, as i have a credit card i need to pay off first. think i will go for the auto, as i had a 2.0 auto mondy when i passed my test, and loved it. now ive got a 2.0 vectra manual, and dont really like that much! in fact im putting up for sale asap, so i can pay off the credit card!

so if u know anyone that wants to buy a 2000 plate vectra 2.0 SRI 140 dualfuel (LPG) vectra for 3kono let me know! :)

hehe, the fastest car ive ever owned was a 203bhp integra type R. quickest car i been in was a 325bhp P1 impreza. hehe, i love jap cars, but not having any of that rotary pish, especially as my mates blew the first time he took it out! :o

just have to pay off abit of debt, wait til april, then i get a works bonus, and shud be able to get a soop then! :D will have about 8k maybe 9k pushing it to spend:)