The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Track Day - Rockingham Speedway 14th March

Branners

One of the Skyline guys has arranged a special price for a track day at Rockingham Speedway on the 14th March. Its a very reasonable discount over the normal prices (normal price is £169 for the full day), so contact me for more details.

Rockingham is apparently well suited to the larger cars with serious top end power so it suits the Skylines and Supras well. The surface is very good and the run offs are large enough to avoid any serious mishaps.

If anybody is interested please contact me and I will give you the full details including price. It would be nice to get some good Supras along there to see what the track is like so it would be good if a few of you can make it.

Its being organised through http://www.easytrack.co.uk and the web site for Rockingham is http://www.rockingham.co.uk. Dont be fooled by the banked oval, theres a full circuit within the infield using part of the oval, see http://www.rockingham.co.uk/track_statistics_variations.htm for the various types of track.

JB

http://www.rockingham.co.uk/circuits/sportscar.jpg

This is the track they are using for the day. It is apparently fairly hard on brakes in 2 places on the circuit...but that's not bad so even those with J-spec brakes should stand a chance at completeing more than 1 lap!!! :D

I've done four motorcycle track days at Rockingham on two different circuit combinations, although never that exact circuit.

The home straight is the left most part of that picture, with the pitlane running parallel on the inside. The circuit runs anti-clockwise in that format, so the first corner is the chicane close to the number "1". There is only room for one at a time through there!

The next corner (the 90 degree left-handerat the end of the straight along the bottom) is the longest and hardest braking zone on that circuit, and probably the safest place to overtake on the brakes if you're close enough when you get on them. If your not close enough it's the most likely spot for some t-bone action.

Some people got kicks out of getting as close to the wall on the main straight and second straight as possible. Apparently the feeling of speed you get is awesome, plus you are on a wider faster line for turning into the following corners. However I think they now cone-off the outer edge of the track to keep people away from the wall.

The final turn on that particular circuit (on the oval part of the track) must be mega, especially if they let you use the banked part of the track. It looks like a flat-out-ball-breaker of a corner. A good excuse for investing in a bucket seat, harness, and roll cage. None of the motorcycle circuits use that corner for obvious reasons!

The tarmac is smooth and grippy, but when it gets wet it seems to hold water and stay wet.

Originally posted by chrispazzi

...The next corner (the 90 degree left-handerat the end of the straight along the bottom) is the longest and hardest braking zone on that circuit...

I was thinking about this today and wonder if in fact the hardest braking zone is the first corner/chicane, given that the cars have to slow down more for the chicane because they are wider and can't straight-line through it like bikes (unless of course you just drive it straight over the kerbs :eek: ), plus cars come on to the main straight from that really fast corner on the oval so the approach speed to the first chicane would be very high (bikes come onto the main straight after a very slow chicane and hairpin).

Hi all,

I'm organising this events on behalf of the GTROC. We've now got 10 confirmed Skylines attending and expect to pick up a few more over the next few weeks. I've reserved 15 places until mid Jan for us any of you guys who may like to attend although more are available at the moment.

So far, I've only had one enquiry from anyone on here and no confirmations. I'm keen to get the numbers sorted before places start disappearing which they surely will as people start thinking about what events they want to attend this year.

This is meant with sincerity, if, for whatever reason, this event isn't likely to be of interest to you guys, could you let me know so we can try another club.

Thanks.

Peter.

Originally posted by PeterE

I'm organising this events on behalf of the GTROC. We've now got 10 confirmed Skylines attending and expect to pick up a few more over the next few weeks. I've reserved 15 places until mid Jan for us any of you guys who may like to attend although more are available at the moment.

Hiya Peter,

Nice to see you on here, I am a mate of Stu's (R32BigSly)

I am up for a bit of this, sounds fun :)

Gaz.

B3any,

Great, the more the merrier. We're not looking for anything too competitive, just a good day out.

Hiya Gaz,

Nice one, Stu came along to spectate at the last day we had at Rockingham. He had a few laps until his brakes gave up. He's a bit of a legend in his own lifetime isn't he, total dedication. :)

If anybody else is interested, drop me a pm or mail for details but be quickish.

Cheers.

Peter.

PS. It looks as though a certain competitor who did 'quite' well at the TOTB day is coming along too....

the run offs are large enough to avoid any serious mishaps.

The oval bit has no run-off, just a very unforgiving concrete wall but as the only bit used normally is turn 4 and the home straight, you're not going fast enough to worry. You will need brakes for the chicane at the end of the straight for the chicane just before turn 1. The infield is a bit Mickey Mouse.

Worth going for the oval section alone. The Circuit Guide describes the turn 4 as "designed for much higher speeds than even the quickest car can achieve from a hairpin start, the banking should be flat out for everybody"

Maybe I'll book.

Originally posted by Alex Holdroyd

http://www.rockingham.co.uk/circuits/sportscar.jpg

This is the track they are using for the day. It is apparently fairly hard on brakes in 2 places on the circuit...but that's not bad so even those with J-spec brakes should stand a chance at completeing more than 1 lap!!! :D

Alex,

This isn't quite the circuit layout we'll be using. We go back infield just opposite turn 3 and run alongside the pit car park so it's a bit longer.

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...