The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Offset..yes I know we've covered this...but

Alex

5-stud 114.3 mm is the stud pattern for the Supra. Fair enough.

To get the right offset for my wheels I need to know how deep the UK Calipers AND the AP calipers are.

What is the radius from the centre of the hub to the out side of the UK and AP caliper?

How deep is the outside caliper with a full thickness brand new pad from the disc to the widest/furthest out point of the ap and UK calipers

I would really appreciate it if someone could measure up for me as I need to talk to BBS about replacing my front wheels...or maybe I should go for 19" replacements all round. What ever I do I need to give BBS fairly precise measurements to get the right centre for my split rims.....

Many many thanks in advance

You're not going to like this, but just getting the offset right may not be sufficient. It all depends how the spokes of the wheel protrude as they go from the hub up to the rim. I have seen some Advan wheels which have a normal offset but the spokes basically go straight out from the hub, then go vertical and then go straight back in to the rim, which is ideal to get past the bigger brakes.

Im sure somebody can provide the overall measurements but you will have to order the wheels on the basis that if they still dont fit you get your money back...

JB

Well you've seen my nice BBS LM Rims and as you know they are dead straight! No curve or bend at all though they do taper in depth as they go out from the centre....at least if I have the measurements I can make an informed choice.

If it comes to it I'll have to sell the wheel and replace them with bowed  ones but I'd rather not...unless I can find replacements at a good price.

fitting spacers with NEW studs will normally allow most wheels to fit with the bigger brakes. Leon has a full spacer set which costs something like £115 but if it makes sure the wheels dont drop off its got to be worth the money.

I physically could not fit my 17s over the brakes without them rubbing on the inside of the rim, and I would have needed an 11mm spacer to avoid hitting the spokes.

Quote: from branners on 2:09 pm on Oct. 2, 2001[br]I have seen some Advan wheels which have a normal offset but the spokes basically go straight out from the hub, then go vertical and then go straight back in to the rim, which is ideal to get past the bigger brakes.

Apologies in advance to Alex for temporarily hijacking his thread, but I think I have these wheels fitted to my car. They use a smaller than standard wheel nut which is recessed in a very tight counterbore in the wheel. I have an adapter to fit a standard whel brace to get them on and off, but I'm having a b*stard time finding a set of locking nuts that will fit down the counterbore. Maybe someone can mail me offline with some suggestions?

You can have your thread back now, Alex ;-)

spacers generally are bad unless you make 100% sure they give a reasonable offset and that the studs are long enough. Fitting spacers will change the handling of the car as the overall track will be wider, but most people dont find this to be a problem. And by fitting new studs you can make sure the nuts have enough purchase on the studs to avoid the wheels falling off.

I still wouldnt go above 10mm spacers unless absolutely necessary, but I would have accepted the 11mm spacer on my car to allow me to fit UK brakes...as it happens I didnt have the choice.

JB

if you accept that your Supra wont handle neutrally any more in that it might wander about a bit under severe braking or tramline on grooved surfaces then it should be okay.

Really the best person to talk to is somebody like Leon who can recommend the best way forward without doing a 'sales pitch'.

JB

When I was measuring up for my 20's, I actually made a mock-up front and rear wheel made from cardboard and, Blue Peter style, mashed up paper and paste.

This I fitted to the the hub, with the strut removed, so I could jack the suspension up and down in order to check clearance.

Once you deviate from tuning company's stock listings then it often becomes a case of suck it and see.

Even with such careful attention to detail I made a major mistake... changed the front tyre section to 255 at the last moment and forgot to account for this with a changed offset. Ended up having to junk 2 brand-new centres at £500 each and buy 2 more with different machining.  

The money it cost me to develop my wheels would have paid for quite a few sets of 18's. But who cares, I was the first in the world to fit 20's. But it is inevitable that 20's will eventually become as commom as 18's are today. But by that time I'll be developing 24's. :)

Yours,

J