The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Influence of upgraded Exhaust on insurance

AntD

easy - dont tell em!

Would you tell em if you fitted internal neons or put side skirts on your car? Point I'm making (being an professional Insurance Broker) is that I do not see a different exhaust as a 'material fact'. I believe that it does not materially increase the risk to the insurance company - they would find it very hard to avoid a claim on the basis of an exhaust. It's an excuse for cash because the chap answering the phone has no underwriting authority and simply ticks a box on screen to add some premium.

easy - dont tell em!

Would you tell em if you fitted internal neons or put side skirts on your car? Point I'm making (being an professional Insurance Broker) is that I do not see a different exhaust as a 'material fact'. I believe that it does not materially increase the risk to the insurance company - they would find it very hard to avoid a claim on the basis of an exhaust. It's an excuse for cash because the chap answering the phone has no underwriting authority and simply ticks a box on screen to add some premium.

i'm not disagreeing with you, just saying what a close friend, who also deals with insurance, said to me - the insurance company could choose not pay out in the event of a claim if all mods were not disclosed and his company have been known to not pay out cos of undisclosed exhaust mods. Even things that you thought would help you take car of the car like a boost gauge etc..

Lets face it most insurance companies will do their best not to pay out and use anything as an excuse.

sure. thats well harsh if that happens - I'd defo take em to arbitration for that. if you're completely new to all this import business (and you could always claim you were), you could say that you thought you were driving a standard car (clearly you cant do this if its got a big single on or sommit) - "you must declare all material facts to the best of your knowledge or belief".

=DShox]easy - dont tell em!

Would you tell em if you fitted internal neons or put side skirts on your car? Point I'm making (being an professional Insurance Broker) is that I do not see a different exhaust as a 'material fact'. I believe that it does not materially increase the risk to the insurance company

1st the exhaust, now side skirts - where does it end ?

Example:

If you put a body kit on the car, does it not make it:

A: Stand out from the norm

B: Make it more expensive to replace (In their eyes)

C: Make it more interesting to the theif due to A above = a higher risk assesment to the insurance company - When the owner is making a claim down the line ?

In my eyes, if you have just stacked your car - do you really want to give the insurance company ANYTHING to get out of paying out ? For the sake of a few bob extra for the exhaust ?

A few bob v Repair/Replace car ££££'s - a no brainer in my book.

(I'm not saying I agree with the way the industry is run or how punters are fleeced at every point but, give them an inch and who looses ?)

i agree with the increased theft risk. not declaring is a risk in itself - but insurance contracts are applied under the principle of 'reasonableness' due to their special nature of being contracts of 'good faith'. the ABI will see to this - if u feel badly treated by an insurer give em a call.

alls I'm saying is if I had a new exhaust - I wouldn't say it materially increases the power or theft risk of my car...ok if I start adding more and more small additions then I'd be interested in safely protecting my investment and so its a different ball game.