The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How old to be insured on big single

Pig

Ok here is the question.

Want to go BIG single at somepoint. How old to people tend to be before they can get insurance?

Im thinking about possibly registering as a business and trying to get business insurance but can any one explain a little more about that to me.

Cheers

I went single at 24 (Now 25) but it was pushing it with the insurance to be honest.

Jae at Sky insurance sorted me out but im pretty sure they wouldnt touch you with a barge pole!

DAD MODE

I was 21 when i got my supra. You probably wont listen but, enjoy the car, get used to the power, add modifications over time, before you know it you will be 24, ready to go single! and most importantly be ready to "handle" and "respect" a single turbo supra.

Well, thats what i did anyway!

DAD MODE OFF

Scott

No definatly agree with you. CERTAINLY not going there yet! Just wanted to get an idea of a target age to get the target car.

TBH i could probably do with a fair bit more experience before getting into a 600bhp car.

Cheers though dad ;)

Can you run a big single as a daily runner in the real world? Whats the mpg like?

Yup .. fuel economy is alot better. I've had 374 miles out of a tank of Tesco 99. Keeping the car between 2k & 3k revs on motorways. Driving around town. And the odd blast now and again.

Of course, if you're going to be driving constantly on-boost all the time .. then what do you expect ? ;)

When I was 17 I was told it would go down when I'm 21, it didn't.

When I was 21 I was told it would go down when I'm 25, it didn't.

When I was 25 I was told it would go down when I'm 30 - I'll find out in Feb but I'm not holding my breath.... Maybe I should get married, would that help :shrug:

My first Supra cost me 850quid a year to insure back in 1999 and since then I've been paying more and more. The rubbish over Jap imports costing more to repair and poor availability of parts really didn't help. Thanks Quentin - you &*&^*&.

I've spoken to A-Plan about fitting a single and it was an extra couple of hundred quid :)

If you can keep it off boost then the fuel consumption is great. Cruising at about 80mph seems perfect, start cruising above 95 and the turbo can come on easily. What really does the fuel economy is when you boot it. I can cruise back from my parents doing 75mph and use almost no fuel, then boot it along the dual carriageways for a few miles before I get home and the fuel guage just drops.

And you can use a single as a day to day driver, remember its just like any other 'normal' turbo car like a scoob and those are used day to day by many reps.

JB