The mkiv Supra Owners Club

3mm spacers, wobble wobble wobble!

Scoboblio

Right, I'm aware that this is a n00b question but hey, I'm now labelled as "experienced" :haha:

The day before having my UK brakes fitted I took the car to a local Toyota garage to A: fit 3mm spacers to the front and B: fit longer studs for them.

I know it's an easy job but I wanted the safety of knowing if one of them was stuck, I wouldn't risk damaging a wheel bearing or something removing it.

All went ok, but now I get a vibration through the steering wheel (not peddles) at about 80mph. Now tomorrow I'll get a chance to take the wheels off and see what's what, but has anyone got any suggestions? I know that spacers suck the big one, do I now have to have my alignment re-checked because the front wheels are 6mm further apart? :conf: Or could the garage have buggered something?

I'm now labelled as "experienced" :rlol:

I've nothing constructive to say Ian, just thought I'd laugh along with you :rlol:

Seriously though, I can't see 3mm spacers each side being the cause of the vibration, unless they are exagerating an existing problem.

I'm not sure of the make, they were provided by Ibrar with my alloys, judging by reputation I'm confident they'll be good ones :)

The thing that confuses me is that the very next day the whole lot was taken off to fit the brakes, so I was hoping this would ensure everything was fitting flush - no avail. I suppose they may have forgotten to put the hub rings back on again? (the plastic thingies that go on the hub when you fit new wheels).

I've nothing constructive to say Ian, just thought I'd laugh along with you :rlol:

Seriously though, I can't see 3mm spacers each side being the cause of the vibration, unless they are exagerating an existing problem.

Why thankyou Nic :rolleyes: Yeah I see your point, until I had this done there were no vibrations at speed at all. What a bugger..... I can now stop at speeds of 120 + leptons.... which I no longer feel safe doing!

If they are not hub concentric spacers this is what happens... The spacers MUST be a snug fit on the nose of the cars hub, and the nose on the spacer MUST be a snug fit within the wheel. If the hole in the wheel is BIGGER than the nose on the spacer or the hub itself, when no spacer is used, then only the studs are centering the wheel, which is bad, possibly dangerous. SO MANY people just nail the wrong fitment wheels on, with the wrong counterbore size, or the wrong offset, or too heavy, and are then surprised / annoyed that they have wobbles, vibrations, tramlining, pulling, odd tyre wera, hub bearing failure, even the wheels coming off, it's not true. Fitting aftermarket wheels is NOT straightforward, and 99% of places that sell the things haven't got a clue about it. If you haven't guessed it's one of my pet hates and rants :)

I've got the same thing, wobble at 80 after replacing a stud, my hub-centric rings are in place and the perfect size. But it didn't happen straight away and isn't there all the time, may be a coincidence that the wheels need balancing (new wheels/tyres a couple of thousand miles ago), or may be something else.

One that fits the exact diameter of the hub and wheel correctly, i.e. so that the wheel is 100% centered correctly. I would have thought that if you bought them from a reputable trader on here then they would be of the correct type. Do you have a pic/link/name for the exact spacers you are using, do you remember if they fitted the diameter of the wheel and hub perfectly?