The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Warranties

Guest slapmatt

If one of your turbos blows they'll just say it's worn out. Wear and tear isn't covered afaik. These warantees are often worthless.

Yeah that's right, and they usually don't cover anything "subject to periodic replacement". Which is just about anything. Oh, and they don't cover anything unless it has actually failed. So when I tried to claim for a new rear wheel bearing as it had too much play they wouldn't cover it because it hadn't actually failed and was subject to periodic replacement. Total waste of money IMHO.

I worked in the motor trade all my working life. All of these warranties are a complete waste of money if you ask me. They will do anything to get out of paying a claim and even when you eventually get them to pay half the companies will only pay something silly like £35 per hour labour and no sundries like oil, coolant, fluids etc

I had one of these aftermarket warranties on my olf GSi Corsa (thank God!)

I argued my case of a few items they reckoned wouldn't be covered and got the dealership to do the repairs and claimed the problems back. Warranty cost me about 150 quid, had about 600/700 quid worth of work done :D

You really have to read the small print though. Usually most of it doesn't apply if your car is older than 5 years and doesn't have full documented service history - like how many jap imports have that?!

You'll pay through the nose for a proper warranty...you'd be better off sticking the money in the bank for an upgrade.

i had a warrenty on mk111 supra when head gasket blew thought every thing ok with warrenty till time came to get reinbursed only got paid half of repair after many arguments with insurance company put that together with original cost of warrenty i might as well not bothered as it met total cost of repair any way gave them money and interest for free:swear:

Someone on here (cant remember who) who works in a garage once said that when they get a warrenty job in, they have to ask the customer if they want the warrenty to cover the cost or if they want to pay extra to have the job done correctly - new head bolds, gaskets ect.

• 4 months later...
Guest Supersonic

Some very interesting responses...

I had a garage warranty on an Rover 214 about three or four years back and got to admit, it saved my bacon. The local garage I went to, which was not where I bought the car worked countless ££££'s out of the warranty company.

First job was to so resolve a crank problem @ £300, then three alternators gave up within 6 weeks, then the power steering failed.

All in all, didnt cost me a jot....a few days without it, but nothing else.

IIRC, some of the purchasable warranties can include turbos, and the exotic parts. I had one on my Rover 800 Vitesse and althought I never claimed on it, it had all sorts of additional cover items, It cost me £350ish for two years but I did pay more for 100% cover...

I've had a few repairs done under warranty. new starter motor on first supe.

new starter motor and new flexi plate which involved taking off the gearbox, on current supe.

Both jobs cost around £1200, I had to pay about £70 towards it.

Paid £1000 for 3 year warranty with Warranty Direct and had no probs with them paying out, still got about 5 months left.

As long as the servicing is done by a VAT registered garage and you have the receipts they are fine. Bit I agree that some warranties are just a waste of money.