The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Punctures - repair or replace, what's the view?

Aerotop Dave

Depends whereabouts on the tyre it is punctured, if its across the 3/4 width of the tread then you are generally OK, dependant on overall width of tyre. If its on or near the sidewall its classed as a major repair and is prbably not worth it. Alternatively could be a valve leak or bead leak. Your local KW should charge around £18 for the repair which would include new valve and balance, however slip the guy a tenner cash and everyones a winner;)

HTH

Rich

front or rear tyre mate? where is the puncture on the tyre itself?

It's left rear.

Not sure where it is actually, it's very slow though. Must have happened last night as it was flat this morning but not totally pancake. Phoned local ATS place and they too said about the 'depends where it is' bit, so I guess I'll take a trip down and see what they say.

£180 for a new one though. I thought they were meant to be £120 or something for Eagle F1s.

The sooner I sell the darn thing the better.

I've had a few repaired over the years and again providing it's in the middle bit of the tire, they're normally fine.

One bit of advice though... don't, whatever you do, use tyre weld or anything of that calibre as nowhere will repair it afterwards. I had a new tyre on my old beema and that got a big nail through it. Went to the tyre place was told they wouldn't repair it, so I called another one, told the same.

So I had to go get my use out of it. Up in smoke it went, one wheel (the crap one) on dry tarmac and the other on a carefully prepared section of wet leaves and mud and mush.

Down to the wire! :flame: