The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Track Day at Donnington - anybody interested?

ellis

After having the car for a short while I still feel that I've not explored the true handling limits (daren't!) or really got to know how to drive the car properly (apart from quickly in a straight line which any herbert can do!) so was wondering if any other of you Supra owners were feeling the same and would be interested in trying to organise a track day meet for a group of us at, say, Donnington.

Just looking to gauge interest at this stage for some time in March/April maybe when its not so greasey. If there's enough I'll get in touch with the track and see whats on offer . . . . anybody?

I'm interested (having done Donington before and loved it!) - the event I did was with BookaTrack, very professional, open pit lane and as much track time as you and the car could take. It was nasty weather too but still loads of fun, you needed restraint through Craner in the morning and McLeans was constantly slippy due to the aeroplanes spraying fuel over it.

My only concern would be noise there - they have a fairly sophisticated computer driver testing system at the top of the pit straight and a 98db driveby limit, I only just managed to stay on track with an unbaffled NuR and decat by backing off at the top end and moving as far away from the mic as possible. With a baffle you'd probably be OK but it's worth bearing in mind.

Bookatrack are generally willing to reserve specific dates for clubs as long as enough people pay up early, after that they open it up to everyone. £150 for the day, normally cheaper with other companies or direct but I like the way they organise things.

Snetterton could be fun too?

(Generally these thread die a death but with the recent uptake in track driving it could be different now)

id love another go at donington, The last one i went to was 99 quid from 5 to 8 pm early summer with open pit lane. was the best evening out. there were a few, red and yellow super cars there (good to hold em down the straights.) my bro and i blagged a pit garage....... so very cool.

Passengers dont pay if i remember rightly.

Day finished at 8 30ish when a mate wraped his bmw round the end of the pit wall....... oh the memorys..:love: :love:

tt steve

I went to Donnington this year, with another club.

It was organised by http://www.track-action.co.uk/

They gave the club 32 places at £135 a car.

It was open pit, 64 cars total, with free instructors.

I did 120 miles in the morning session and 120 in the afternoon. 450 miles total in the day, and the big expense was petrol, the car drank £192.

Was just thinking it could be worth giving them a shout [email protected]

if its a trackday to explore the limits of your car then you can't go wrong with an airfield trackday..... absolutely nothing to hit... therefore you can chuck your car into a corner as hard as you like.... you can even put it into an intentional spin and you'd be perfectly safe.

With a circuit trackday you always have the barriers and the grass/gravel..... which in the case that you did spin off then you're going to get damage.

To really explore what your car is capable of without any 2nd guessing or backing off thinking your going to spin everytime then try Elvington.

http://www.javelin-motorsport.co.uk are doing a few trackdays there over the coming weeks.... I'm booked onto one on the 19th Nov in my GT-four.

there are a few places left... check out the list:

http://www.javelin-motorsport.co.uk/cgi-bin-local/javelin.pl?cgifunction=Search&Ref=20051119

The only track I've picked damage up on was Elvington - sideways into a cone at 80mph is bound to leave a mark though ;)

Still better than a tyre wall or a barrier at 80.... as AJI says it's a great place to push the limits of both the car and the driver in relative safety though. Winter sessions help with the abrasive surface too, a set of tyres lasted me a full day on my last wet day there, in the summer I destroyed them in the morning :(

black cat - not sure what you mean about the racing car feel.... you're only going to get that in a racing car anyway.

An airfield day is cheaper to enter at only £95.... but you're right in that the track layout won't be anything you'd recognise from TV or a game.

But then part of the day's challenge is to learn a new track and see if you're good at getting the perfect racing line.

Airfields are fairly abbrasive true, but if you're out to learn your car then a good grippy surface is useful to practice on... so that your not spinning everywhere. If you make a mistake then it will snap back in line quicker than on a normal grip surface.

I'm hoping for a rainy day on my next visit there.... last time I also went through a set of tyres.... but then I was sideways at EVERY corner ! LOL