The mkiv Supra Owners Club

200 mph...

Kip

Any one see 5th Gear last night?

200 mph on a budget! - they spent a little over - well allot over! - 30k on a bag of sh....

A lotus v8 twin turbo - 25k buying the damned thing - which broke down after the first few miles of the purchase! - and then the rest on turbos brakes and new boots - it failed terribly in fact I thought then it was time to give up and start again with a better car.

Then a rebuild of the engine that went pop.

They then spent time in a wind tunnel to get the aerodynamics set up - which I recon had they have had to pay for it would have cost an arm and a leg.

Try again - the gear box and clutch gave up - another failure!

Try again with a shot of NO2 and, yep you got it, another failure, and still Tiff recon-ed it was possible - WTF????

I think they got to around 179mph

3 maybe more attempts and the car and engine just weren't up for it.

Why didn't they use a Supra?

Surely for 30k - inc. buying the car - 200mph is achievable.

Any one here seen 200 plus? and how much did it cost?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Terry S
if they manage to modify a F reg cossie to do 206mph, i'm sure its not a problem with a highly modded supra to do 200mph+.

If you on about Rod Tarry's car it's extremely modified! Sure we went through all this about a year ago.

oh if only the had have started with a supra, for the price TT's are going for at the moment they would have loads of spare cash for a really big single and a different diff, they would have smashed the 200mph barrier easily,

we should write in suggesting they do it properly, starting with the right car :D would be awesome to see

PS: I've been sad, I've emailed them in the slim chance they might re-attempt the challenge starting with a supra TT, it's got to be worth a shot lol

If you on about Rod Tarry's car it's extremely modified! Sure we went through all this about a year ago.

It was and yeah 5th gear revisited the project after breaking the gearbox last time...this time they blew the engine and then melted the clutch...they even took it to a wind tunnel to work out the wing mirrors were a hinderance to air flow...

they obviously picked the Lotus cause it's a Lotus....ie they didn't do any research first.

How do we bring all this information to the powers that be on 5th gear?

I'm sure there are quite a few of you guys out there that can top the 200mph mark.

Arent some of you guys up in the 500plus bhp, surely with that sort of tune 200mph is very acheivable.

I would love to see Tiff back in a Supra thats capable of 200+, perhaps then we can get him to rethink his, "its a super car but not a supercar" quote.

Thanks for the replys, very interesting, he should have done a wee bit more research me thinks.

My neighbour had a 4x4 cossie and that was seriously modded, bloody unreliable and drove like a tank!! but, I have to give it to him when it was running well and on song it was like a bloody rocket.

Cheers all.

Guest Terry S
How do we bring all this information to the powers that be on 5th gear?

I'm sure there are quite a few of you guys out there that can top the 200mph mark.

Arent some of you guys up in the 500plus bhp, surely with that sort of tune 200mph is very acheivable.

I would love to see Tiff back in a Supra thats capable of 200+, perhaps then we can get him to rethink his, "its a super car but not a supercar" quote.

Thanks for the replys, very interesting, he should have done a wee bit more research me thinks.

My neighbour had a 4x4 cossie and that was seriously modded, bloody unreliable and drove like a tank!! but, I have to give it to him when it was running well and on song it was like a bloody rocket.

Cheers all.

Guys this was all offered last year and fell on deaf ears :(

Any one see 5th Gear last night?

200 mph on a budget! - they spent a little over - well allot over! - 30k on a bag of sh....

A lotus v8 twin turbo - 25k buying the damned thing - which broke down after the first few miles of the purchase! - and then the rest on turbos brakes and new boots - it failed terribly in fact I thought then it was time to give up and start again with a better car.

Then a rebuild of the engine that went pop.

They then spent time in a wind tunnel to get the aerodynamics set up - which I recon had they have had to pay for it would have cost an arm and a leg.

Try again - the gear box and clutch gave up - another failure!

Try again with a shot of NO2 and, yep you got it, another failure, and still Tiff recon-ed it was possible - WTF????

I think they got to around 179mph

3 maybe more attempts and the car and engine just weren't up for it.

Why didn't they use a Supra?

Surely for 30k - inc. buying the car - 200mph is achievable.

Any one here seen 200 plus? and how much did it cost?

Maybe I'm getting alittle bit over-sensitive here but you can't go around saying an engine and gearbox is a piece of shite because it won't take a 70% power hike just because you feel like doing it.

OK, the thing about the gearbox failing just after it was bought was pretty poor, but then again the gearbox issue has been covered in another thread.

So you take an engine and play with the turbos and it goes pop. Hopefully at this point you or I would take a step back and say "maybe tuning this engine wasn't such a good idea after all". But no, they have another go. Now the gearbox that failed when the power output was stock - surprise surprise - fails again. Amazing.

So now having failied a clutch, an engine and a gearbox the remedy is to add a host of nitrous. Presumably to get the power up there so fast that the engine is sufficiently surprised that it forgets to fail in time? :shrug:

Unfortunately, its just what can happen when you go home-tuning. Fortunately for almost everyone on here the 2JZ seems to be pretty forgiving as are plenty of other engines, but there are plenty of engines that aren't, too.

Guest Terry S
Any ideas on speed? She was getting near the end of pulling - was steadily increasing though.... I think I need more power :eyebrows:

probably about 180 lepton

Maybe I'm getting alittle bit over-sensitive here but you can't go around saying an engine and gearbox is a piece of shite because it won't take a 70% power hike just because you feel like doing it.

OK, the thing about the gearbox failing just after it was bought was pretty poor, but then again the gearbox issue has been covered in another thread.

So you take an engine and play with the turbos and it goes pop. Hopefully at this point you or I would take a step back and say "maybe tuning this engine wasn't such a good idea after all". But no, they have another go. Now the gearbox that failed when the power output was stock - surprise surprise - fails again. Amazing.

So now having failied a clutch, an engine and a gearbox the remedy is to add a host of nitrous. Presumably to get the power up there so fast that the engine is sufficiently surprised that it forgets to fail in time? :shrug:

Unfortunately, its just what can happen when you go home-tuning. Fortunately for almost everyone on here the 2JZ seems to be pretty forgiving as are plenty of other engines, but there are plenty of engines that aren't, too.

True but then there is the other side of the coin .. it is a CAR program and they pay researchers to know what will work and what wont and what makes good investment for a good program. Well it seems they chose a car and lets be fair although an icon of the time for lotus was made from the parts bin of what was at hand at the time ..it worked then and could have worked now if the researchers spent less on windtunnels ..when comon sence would have done .. checked the full condition of the car and thought about hmmm more power we shall be needing a clutch here. FACT they had a team of program researchers they had money to hand and lets be honest chose the wrong car. With their funding they could have got any of the top tuners to build them a car as A it would raise the profile of the tuners ( tv exposure) and B could have been very achievable on that budget. If a privateer could do it then why could a national TV progam could not, even with a very big barganing chip like TV ...dam they could have used any of our cars and thrown 30K at it .

True but then there is the other side of the coin .. it is a CAR program and they pay researchers to know what will work and what wont and what makes good investment for a good program. Well it seems they chose a car and lets be fair although an icon of the time for lotus was made from the parts bin of what was at hand at the time ..it worked then and could have worked now if the researchers spent less on windtunnels ..when comon sence would have done .. checked the full condition of the car and thought about hmmm more power we shall be needing a clutch here. FACT they had a team of program researchers they had money to hand and lets be honest chose the wrong car. With their funding they could have got any of the top tuners to build them a car as A it would raise the profile of the tuners ( tv exposure) and B could have been very achievable on that budget. If a privateer could do it then why could a national TV progam could not, even with a very big barganing chip like TV ...dam they could have used any of our cars and thrown 30K at it .

Yeah what we're saying is that it's not the cars fault - the researchers were rubbish and basically chucked 30k down the drain. Maybe I should be a researcher as Ian says I'm good at spending other people's money ;) :p

If they wanted British then it should have been a TVR...but I'm guessing they went for something with turbo's....cause all the jap cars that have them are highly moddable....as we know.