The mkiv Supra Owners Club

0-60 manual vs. auto?

Guest zish

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've driven quite a few of both, the auto is fool proof, the manual takes some real skill (and experience) to get a good launch. You have to be pretty unsympathetic to the clutch and gearbox to make a good 0-60 in the 6 spd. The Supra is not great off the line, but comes into its own one its 2nd gear+

The 0-60 times most of us "bpu" people get in the manual seems to be slower than the auto's. Though I've not been on a drag strip, on the roads I can't get below 5.5 seconds!

Overall, on a straight road (or drag strip), the auto is usually quicker. The gear changes are *always* perfect and due to the longer gearing you're not constantly losing time changing gear.

They're very different cars to drive so if you don't own one yet make sure you have a good long drive in both before you decide what is for you.

the gear changes on mine are as quick as you want them but I don't have a standard clutch, maybe thats the difference. I just enjoy not loosing power through that auto box

Its not the speed of the shift I referred to (Though you can always guarantee that’s done perfectly in the auto). The point I was making is that the gearing is longer and as such you don't have to shift as often.

An uprated clutch helps the launch but makes little difference when changing (well unless you have a puck clutch, but thats not much good for day to day drivers like me!)

I would have thought the difference between a manual and auto box (0.7 secs) was about 20 feet difference travelling down the road. Not a great difference really

You're right, in real life it makes bugger all difference when we talk about 0-60 times. 40-60 and 50-70 times mean much more in real life. This is also where the Supra excels.

I've seen that for the manual, thought the auto was some .5 or so slower on both the 0-60 and 1/4 miles times

Without meaning to extend an already over-argued point, the reason I bought an auto was because I could accelerate and keep both hands on the wheel ;) definately an advantage to the FWD generation like me!

I brought a manual so I can change gear when I want to ;)

Anyway, what's this thing about a rev limiter for the auto car too, in the first 3 (out of 4) gears? http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=51259

PS: 20 yards is a heck of a lot when comparing two otherwise identical cars!!!

:nyah: The maunal has a rev limiter too, I have had several 6's bouncing off it trying to keep up;) The limt refered to above is a pretty standard feature in most auto boxes, It is there to stop you blowing it to bits.

Book times, not press times, for a stock UK car I believe were 4.9 and 5.1 respectively. I do not believe any figures were released for the JDM car, but as the JDM gives better lower down torque and is lighter with faster spooling turbos, I suspect they are slightly quicker in stock form. When I was test driving a completely stock JDM auto I had no trouble keeping up with a UK 6 with quite a few £K of performance mods. It was so easy I was suprised. That is one reason I bought a JDM car.

With the extra time with the engine not driving the wheels between changes and only the momentum of the car fighting road resistance and drag, six speeds will require perfect and rapid changes to stand a chance of keeping up with a computer controlled box.

And when does 20 feet become 60 feet;)

When RWHP is equal the auto has it every time.:devil:

This debate will run for ever.

The 0-60 is closer than I thought, the 1/4 mile times show up more of a difference though. As was mentioned earlier, 0-60 times don't really tell the full story anyway.

I'm not getting drawn into a debate, for me manual mode auto is no comparison to the real thing! Each to their own, both great cars and undoubtedly the supra auto box is a really good piece of work :)

edit, my mistake, 20 feet not yards, still noticable for cars otherwise the same...

I think the manual has it every time! especially around the track! accept no substitute! I'm really impressed with the j-spec set up and a manaul gearbox, it kicks arse and I'd put it up against any auto of the same spec any day of the week

I have a UK auto with all traction and fuses still in.

Don't get me wrong this gearbox is phenomenal when you use it correctly, though even just left in Drive it can do a lot of damage!

BUT......

I think that i could change gear in a manual car quicker than the my auto box does!

i think you would need a short shifter to accomplish this.

Scott

blah, blah

noobs :looney: :p

Seriously though, spend a bit of time driving similar spec auto's and manuals before you make judgement on which is best to drive. Each are better at different things, don't go thinking your Supra is the best of all worlds - it isn't.

or learn to drive the manual and be consistently quicker

The figures speak for themselves, the difference shows in the 1/4 times too...

Can you beat my sub 5 second 0-60 ? (See Sig)

Autos are generally quicker on the quarter mile, everything else being equal.

i read a review of the tiptronics - the engine management on shifts is improved plus the tiptronic thumb shift mode actually delivers a quicker shift than full auto (which is absolutely seamless anyway). was it marko or dimarko or someone like this who opted for an auto (albeit uprated) for his drag car?