The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Please Stop It Squeaking...

Suprash

I had a service a little while ago, and ever since then my belts are really squeaky, especially when I first start her up. Now the squeaking does sometimes disapear, usually if I have a good long drive down the motorway, it only seems to disapear if the engine has been run a long time, as though they get really nice and warm and settle down, and as I dont do a lot of long distance driving, this squeaking is pratically permanent. Its just that you cant beat a quiet engine, could this be due to belt tension, is there anything I can do to stop this noise. Im not exactly sure how many belts are down there, feel like a women driver now saying that, but from what I remember there is only 1 main one. Help before I try and do something drastic like take a can of WD40 to it.:twak:

I have no idea what is causing it, BUT....

On most cars, the traditional "schreeching/squealing" sound that you get - often when the engine is cold, or when you pull out of junctions, etc, is a loose or dying alternator or fan belt.

If you've just had the belt off and back on, or changed for a new one then it could be this.

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

I had a service a little while ago, and ever since then my belts are really squeaky, especially when I first start her up. Now the squeaking does sometimes disapear, usually if I have a good long drive down the motorway, it only seems to disapear if the engine has been run a long time, as though they get really nice and warm and settle down, and as I dont do a lot of long distance driving, this squeaking is pratically permanent. Its just that you cant beat a quiet engine, could this be due to belt tension, is there anything I can do to stop this noise. Im not exactly sure how many belts are down there, feel like a women driver now saying that, but from what I remember there is only 1 main one. Help before I try and do something drastic like take a can of WD40 to it.:twak:

Find a local Bearing Service branch, get some V belt dressing (aerosol spray) and spry it on the belt(s) with engine idlng. WD40 works for a while, too.

• 1 year later...

Ash m8, (Bet you're embarrased that I'm dragging this up eh? :cool: - At least I know how the search button works!!!) what did you do in the end if you can remember?

Mine's doing exactly the same, only when cold but getting worse every day it seems (autumn now though).

Does it need fixing or can I just spray it with something?

Yep mine does it as well, tried WD40 that made it worse, I'm currently using the water method, works well but needs to be done every now and then.

Talc. sounds interesting, will try that next time it starts doing it again.

Ha, ha T, thankfully this post was from my early days...... although now I feel as stupid as a stupid person asking where their turbos are....... ;)

Erm, ChrisW seems to be spot on here, nothing I done stopped it squeeking, like you say its annoying when its sat there running, but the squeeking will not harm it in any way, and I woudlnt advise to using things like WD40 on it.

By the way I found out yesterday that these belts are around £56, not exactly budgie prices........