The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi peeps

Guest AMVanquishMan

Guest AMVanquishMan

Hi ya,

Newbie just signed up today. Now in the process of looking for a Supra. Once i got my toy i am looking forward to chattin'.

Bye for now

AMV

:yu:

Guest AMVanquishMan

Hey, woah, the replies are as quick as the cars!! haha Cool, thanks for the welcome.

On the purchase bit, i am limited to a budget of max 6k (and thats with trading in my nice 200SX) as i run a 520i as the family car, the Soop is just going to be a nice toy for the run to work and to blatt about in at the weekend.

I am looking for an N/A version pref auto with the lowest miles poss. Thats about it. Only started looking today.

AMV

:yu:

Guest AMVanquishMan

i do quite a few miles too/from work each week and a tt just aint an option, i thought a 220bhp na was still pretty respectable given that most people tend to drive boring coma inducing metal boxes as transport each day.

AMV :cry:

i do quite a few miles too/from work each week and a tt just aint an option, i thought a 220bhp na was still pretty respectable given that most people tend to drive boring coma inducing metal boxes as transport each day.

AMV :cry:

Good choice of car, but don't expect it to be easy on the fuel, my NA will average about 24 to the gallon but can be as low as 18 - they are too much fun to drive sensibly! ;)

Guest AMVanquishMan

Although my last post was tongue in cheek there are several reasons why i am going the na route.

Turbo's aint reliable, they break, the cars gotta last me and i am on a budget, thats the way it is (trying to buy our house next year and a little boy due to be born in the next couple of weeks).

As for fuel consumption, i have grown up with 3 x 2.8i Capri's, 1 x 280 Capri, 2 x 3.0 na flip lite Supra's and now am running a 200SX turbo (albiet a 4 cylinder engine) and that drinks too! haha. Hence, I am used to shelling out money for Gordon Browns treasure chest - like all us hard pressed petrolheads. But a tt is going to be just to thirsty that is a fact (christ put my foot down in the SX and i can watch the speedo going up and the gas needle going down).

I like big lazy torguey engine's and the na will do me just fine thanks. If i had a five minute drive too work and decided to carry on renting then maybe a tt would be an option but i am still not sure i would go with one.

I aint gonna go over 100 mph on the open road (instant ban territory), i aint gonna race (i like to cruise in my machine and enjoy it), i aint gonna 'max it up' (for christ sake i am 42 on the 23rd). I should be driving a boring Mondeo or summat but that will only happen when i buy a cardigan and fireside slippers and stop listening to headf**k industrial electronica - i.e. NEVER haha

Fact is, i didnt really want an import but thats what it will have to be, i want to enjoy my Supra and not be constantly worrying about it. 220 bhp is plenty enough for what i am after thanks (we'll have no baseball caps here!).

Thanks for the greetings people, it looks cool on here. And yes those pics looked great, nice Supra, black, the best colour.

AMV

:thumbs:

Welcome mate.

Before you set your mind on an NA, have a bit more of a read up about the TT. I know quite a few people who bought an NA and now wish they had gone with the TT!

The NA and TT are not that different reliability wise or even for fuel consumption (Plus Insurance is also often cheaper the TT, especially the UK spec).

So long as you get a good unmodified TT it will run forever (several 200k+ mile motors on here, one CW services is 300k+ all on stock turbos, etc), a UK spec with history is your best bet if reliability is a concern. All NA's are imports and as such will have limited or unknown history.

Its only once you start modifying them that running cost increase. However mine has been running 1.2 bar (380-430bhp) for 2 years (30k miles) without any problems I haven't caused myself!

A few points from an NA owner:

Turbo's aint reliable, they break, the cars gotta last me and i am on a budget, thats the way it is (trying to buy our house next year and a little boy due to be born in the next couple of weeks).

Any engine will be engineered to meet the same durability targets regardless of whether it is NA or TT. IMHO if you want reliability from a TT the trick is to get one that hasn't been modified (which is probably a bit of a tall order). Even the J-spec with its ceramic blades should be fine for 100,000miles in stock trim and proper servicing.

As for fuel consumption, i have grown up with 3 x 2.8i Capri's, 1 x 280 Capri, 2 x 3.0 na flip lite Supra's and now am running a 200SX turbo (albiet a 4 cylinder engine) and that drinks too! haha. Hence, I am used to shelling out money for Gordon Browns treasure chest - like all us hard pressed petrolheads. But a tt is going to be just to thirsty that is a fact (christ put my foot down in the SX and i can watch the speedo going up and the gas needle going down).

DON'T expect good fuel economy from an NA Supra - especially compared to the TT. As Faye said an NA can easiy drop below 20 if you drive it hard and have the aircon on. Mine will happily trundle out 24MPG max but I have seen 18s during the summer. Incidentally, Ian C's 600+HP modded big single turbo turned in better fuel economy than my stock NA on a run to France and back this year :)

I like big lazy torguey engine's and the na will do me just fine thanks.

Actually the NA is dead as a doornail below about 4500RPM

I aint gonna go over 100 mph on the open road (instant ban territory), i aint gonna race (i like to cruise in my machine and enjoy it), i aint gonna 'max it up' (for christ sake i am 42 on the 23rd). I should be driving a boring Mondeo or summat but that will only happen when i buy a cardigan and fireside slippers and stop listening to headf**k industrial electronica - i.e. NEVER haha

Fact is, i didnt really want an import but thats what it will have to be, i want to enjoy my Supra and not be constantly worrying about it. 220 bhp is plenty enough for what i am after thanks (we'll have no baseball caps here!).

Thanks for the greetings people, it looks cool on here. And yes those pics looked great, nice Supra, black, the best colour.

That's all fair enough - its pretty much exactly why I decided to get an NA, but I was very surprised to find after a few years that the running costs (especially for high mileage when the services cme round fast) were working out to be pretty much the same as my mates' TTs. Lots of people on here are power nuts and will urge you to buy a TT just because of that. I'd urge you to try both just in case because if your primary driver for getting an NA is economy then you will probably end up being dissappointed when you compare costs with the TT boys.

Incidentally, insurance on NAs usually works out dearer than TTs. Strange but true.

Anyway, welcome to the club :)