The mkiv Supra Owners Club

When was the last time you used your car properly?

michael

This was a question that came to me at 2am last night as I made my way into work on an empty M62 / M1 but still didn't open the car up more than 50%. Why not? I didn't need to, it went fast enough at part throttle.

Since deciding to go for a single some months ago and putting the money to one side I've found myself asking "do I really need to go any faster"? For me the answer seems to be that I don't, I use the car daily, I do trackdays, I go for spirited drives at the weekend.... but it's very rare I ever have to apply full throttle.

I know this isn't the macho thing to say because as we all know having more power means you have a larger penis but how many of the big power cars get used to their full potential on a daily / weekly basis?

I can appreciate that the drag racers need power and that's where a single comes in, also a faster spooling single is likely to be of benefit for someone such as myself who likes a quick road and track car but even then do I really need to go faster than I do now?

Discuss..... :blahblah:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Serious note now Michael,

I know what you are saying, i too would like to go single and have more power (and bigger penis), but the more i think about it i agree with you, do i really need it. The car is quick as it is and still beats most cars on the road that dare to have a go.

Still 50/50 really about what to do.

A question my heart and brain have been arguing over for a long time.

For me, weekdays are a nose to tail commute, although I do sometimes take a back road home. Weekends vary....fast motorway / dual carriageway stuff mainly, sometimes nowt at all. Come the summer I treat myself and the car to loads of back road blatting. I very rarely feel that I need more power...good brakes / suspension / gear box and 'safe' power delivery are more important to me. I dont feel that Ive reached the limits of the car as it is yet, and I dont mind admitting it....I have never never ever felt bored with the performance as is, and every time I drive 'close' (IMO) to what I feel unsafe, its usually due to bad judgement on braking / gear selection / corner lines than outright speed / power.

Id love to have more power, but I wouldnt say I needed it.

Serious note now Michael,

I know what you are saying, i too would like to go single and have more power (and bigger penis), but the more i think about it i agree with you, do i really need it. The car is quick as it is and still beats most cars on the road that dare to have a go.

Still 50/50 really about what to do.

More power, and come to think of it, a bigger penis both require as the bottom line more money. I dont have a lot (of money that is) and anyway I am happy with what I have both automobile and trouser dept. There is an old saying "Its not what you've got, its how you use it!".:whistle:

ewen , she doesnt suffer from hard skin on her knees then

:innocent:

No, but Im going to suffer having no skin at all if I keep dissing the old girl on this site...she reads the odd post or two when I make a cup of tea or whatever. By the way, she didnt get James's (WSB2) new avatar...I told her the :p was a lesbian with a hard-on.

PS, sorry for the serious sensible post earlier on in this thread, promise not to do it again

I don't think you "need" more power than BPU levels for a very fast road car, but that doesn't stop us "wanting" it lol. I guess it's hard to draw the line at which point you should stop upgrading at the end of the day. It all starts to become diminishing returns for your hard earned £ at some stage.

TBH on the road/track you could probably a faster car overall by spending the money on other things, brakes, suspension, tyres, bushes etc...

It's a good question though, one I've been asking myself. I typically find the car's bhp at BPU levels is not really the problem, it's more about learning to drive it and get the most out of it, thats the real challenge!

No I don't need more power, but I really want it :D

Most of my driving, work wise, is in traffic or between speed cameras ;)

I could make do with a Mondeo or Focus, but who wants to make do :)

I enjoy driving the Supra because it's a great car, I don't need to go everywhere at WOT to know that. On the occasions when I do get to give it some stick, it's a great, fast car, but TBH it's still nowhere as quick as I'd like, but then again, nor is the Griffith, and that's a right bundle of laughs :woot:

Personally I know I'm looking for the unachievable, once I've had a car for a few days/weeks/months I get used to its power and want something quicker.

I'm sure that if I had a Maclaren F1, after a while I'd be trying to find ways to make it go faster, its a bloody addiction and a hard one to kick :looney:

I enjoy driving my cars, I don't need those specific ones, but life would be a lot more boring without them.

What we want, and what we need, are normally 2 completely different things, usually determined by disposable income and level of stupidity.

I admit it, I'm stupid over cars, always have been and, I'm sure, always will be. I don't need a Supra, I don't need a Griffith, and I certainly don't need both (but FFS don't tell my wife, as it took hours convincing her that I did :D )