The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Judder Man

Flipfinger

Going to join the A14, I decided to plant my foot down in 2nd, and at about 5,500 rpm and upwards, there is a juddering nasty noise from the front passenger side.  Believe it or not, despite having the car for well over a month, this is the first time I'd got this close to the rev limiter!  The power band seems optimum at around 4,000 - 5,000, but I digress...

I tried it a few more times down nearer home, and it did it at 5,500rpm again.  Then I parked it up and revved it in neutral and hey presto, it's clear all the way to redline with no noise.

There is something in my head that says "Wheel bearing" but what are the professionals' opinions?  I know nothing about cars, so please educate me!

(Edited by Flipfinger at 8:01 pm on Oct. 4, 2001)

...particuarly in light of the fact that you didn't make reference to whether it was at the same speed each time.

For example, I had something which felt like prop-shaft vibration once I got above 120MPH but having had rear wheel drive cars back in the good-old-days, I had the rear wheels balanced and et voila, gone.

Quote: from Flipfinger on 8:21 am on Oct. 5, 2001[br]Oops.  No, it doesn't do it unless the revs are +5,500rpm, no matter what gear or speed you are doing.

Does not do it in neutral.

I can't remember if yours is a manual or auto.

If you're lucky, it could just be a clutch pressure plate needed, everything else is probably gonna cost, sorry :(