The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK spec high-level brake light

carl0s

So did none of the UK cars come with a working high-level brake light? I was surprised to see that the one on the N/A 'sortof' worked (looked like some of the LEDs were dead).

Mine doesn't work and I don't remember ever seeing any electrical stuff around the area.

So did none of the UK cars come with a working high-level brake light?
Some did. Mostly the early ones had a dummy LED brake light.

Was it because LEDs weren't considered as lights, UK legally speaking, back then? I think the law referred to 'bulbs' and LEDs aren't bulbs. Or maybe I totally dreamt that. Can't remember where I got it from.

The earliest uk specs had a dummy light, like mine, due to them not being legal in the uk at that time. However, some of the later ones definitely did have them as standard.

I recently fitted one to mine using the instructions provided by Cheifgroover. If you do a search on 3rd brakelight you should be able to find the guide.

:)

The earliest uk specs had a dummy light, like mine, due to them not being legal in the uk at that time. However, some of the later ones definitely did have them as standard.

I recently fitted one to mine using the instructions provided by Cheifgroover. If you do a search on 3rd brakelight you should be able to find the guide.

:)

Zed,

How much of a hassle was it to fit?

And where did you get it from?

Paul.

mine had some leds out,a guy at work repaired it for me. the hard bit is getting the unit apart ,i had to cut around the joint then prise them apart without cracking the lens.if you can get them apart the leds can be replaced then reglued together and reinstalled,mine works ok now.

MrRalphMan, it wasn't a difficult job, just a pain in the ar$e due to having to remove the plastic panels on both sides in the back of the car. Since I was dynamatting and sealing the wings around the rear speaker anyway it wasn't a lot of extra work.

I got the light from a salvage yard for £30, beats paying about £130 from the dealer.

Here's the link to the guide by Cheifgroover on how to connect it up and make sure you go to the second page of the thread as well as it has a couple of pics.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=37891&highlight=3rd+brake+light