The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Goodyear vs Yokohama

cornimac

I had 235/45/R17 Yokohama Grand Prix all round until this morning when I replaced the back two for Goodyear F1 Eagle 255/40/R17s. I needed to put the rears back to stock sizes and chose what I believe to be the most recommended tyre.

Looking at them on the car, I'm not sure I like the look of them next to the Yokohamas on the front. The Yokos have a much squarer side profile which I think looks better (on my wheels at least).

TBH, I was really impressed with the grip and handling of the Yokos, especially at Santa Pod the other weekend when others had less grip. So I'm waiting to see if there is any difference and wonder what to put it down to if there is.

Anyway my question is, do we buy Goodyear F1s because everyone says they're good or are they really that good? Does anyone have an idea of the difference I will feel?

I'm tempted to loose the F1s and find bigger Yoko GPs TBH.

Sorry for the long post - might be an interesting discussion (unless of course it's already been done :hide:) I'll try and get some pics up tonight.

Ive had a set of Eagle F1's and Yoko a539s. IMO the A539's are awesome in the dry, probably better than the F1's.......but in the wet you will find yourself in a ditch.

Thanks guys. This was my thinking too about wet vs dry. The tread pattern is more pronounced on the F1s which makes me think they would disperse water better and the Yokos put more rubber down in the dry.

Righto, I should stay with the F1s. They just look odd to me now - must be a style thing (if I had any).

Apparantly Yokohama have some really cool new F1 type street legals. Maybe try them next summer :thumbs: