The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does standard spoiler offer downforce?

Sub_Culture

It does! it's not just for show. I read somewhere it offers something like 66lbs of downforce at 70mph - or something like that anyway - point being it does offer downforce and hence more grip.

I doubt it going to be a show stopper if you remove it though TBH but it might make a difference at high speed cornering...

(personally I think spoilerless supras look blergh lol)

I have driven planty of Supras with no rear "wing", it makes little difference. Maybe kills some lift from the tear drop roof shape, but compared to a proper wing section as would be fitted to a GT type race car it's much more style than substance, i doubt you'd notice it was gone. I too much prefer them with no rear wing at all.

I should think if you were going flat out, say at 180mph the downforce would be quite considerable. However mostly when going at crazy speeds we all do it in straight lines (most of the time). Mr T had to make a trade off between downforce, mpg and top speed and so I should imagine the spoiler is on the subtle side of things, not overkill...

not convinced by the spoilerless car, looks kinda naked and missing something, personal tastes though, no right answer here

im spoilerless and have no problems at full/high speed under any conditions. the wing reduces the coefficient of body lift, it does not produce 12 stone (170lbs) of downforce at 80mph.

the spoiler was an option in japan. i much prefer the clean look of no spoiler.

take a look at the lift equation to see how any aerofoil works:

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/lifteq.html

Any extra downforce (or the effect it has on reducing natural profile lift from the car's shape) is always a good safety factor when it comes to driving at high speed. It results in more stability.

You may not noticed the difference going in a straight line but take like for like going round a corner I'd say a Supra with a rear spoiler would have more grip on the rear end.