The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving in Germany

Need4Speed

I've been to the Nürburgring at the weekend and spotted a couple of things on the way.

At the German border, coming in from Belgium, there's a sign indicating that there is a national speed limit on the Autobahns now of 130km/h:thumbdown

I also spotted several sets of (what looked like) speed cameras between the border and the 'Ring. They are on gantrys across the road and face the oncoming traffic - a camera for each lane.

Has anybody else seen these - are they cameras? And does anybody have a definitive answer to "is it the end of fast Autobahn driving?".

60% of Autobahns are speed limited and they have been for a few years now.

Its not until you go deep into Germany where you'll find the un-limited roads.

Saying that you can still be 'done' for travelling at un-acceptable speeds on the unlimited sections if there is built-up traffic.

There are speed limits where posted with a sign, usually 80, 100, or 120 kmh. If you're in one of these areas and you then see a gray sign with the 120 and a line through it, that speed limited area has ended and you are free to hammer down. Most cameras on the autoban are in the middle median. The large cameras that you see stretched across the tops of the autoban are actually for measuring weights and speeds of large trucks. They're everywhere in Japan as well. Hope this helps. BTW, the next time you make a trip to the Ring, let me know. I'm only 90 minutes away. I've never driven it, but it's in the plans. Memorizing via GT4 at the moment.

No problems. I'm Active Duty U.S. Air Force. Nobody questioned it when I left Japan and the paperwork done here in Germany (U.S. military version of the registration documentation) was a piece of cake. I think the military has some type of Letter of Agreement with the German Gov't with regards to us bringing our cars here. I do fear that I'll not be able to bring the Supra back to the states with me. If this is the case, I'll just sell it here for twice what I've got invested *tear* and buy another in the states. I do love it though. Extremely rare and people are shocked when they see it's RHD.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike !!

Long time ago we wrote by PM

You can be soooooooo much happy with your US Registration !!

I hope i can sell my RX-7 next weekend and if I can i will by a Supra. But only a right hand drive, because the German models are sooooo expensive.

To get a normaly "german" registration becomes very hard.

I was on the Nürburgring few weeks ago with my EVO8 but sorry.. I forgot th notice you. Next time i will give you an info.

Hope everything is OK with your Supra. Can you send me some pictures ??

Do you have a RHD or LHD ?

The prices you payed for repair is very good.

Cheers

Peter