The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Tech work

Guest Ash

I'm sorry to people I'm having to turn down at the moment but I'm trying to take things in order of priority.

Problem is, I have my main business that takes up my time so I am only really able to work on cars weekday afternoons... although I'm now putting in full days (7am to 7pm) weekends.

My next project is Mark Ayling's car... that has the dodgy Veilside front with the 10mm gaps down the side of the headlamps. Plus, the rest of the paint is either a mismatch or badly stone-chipped. Which means I'll be busy in my "spray-booth" for the next few weeks.

Mark, is having the Whiteline suspension fitted together with a manual short-shifter kit, which shld prove interesting.

Next in line must surely be Nick Martin's car. The money that guy has spent for *so* little in return just makes me want to smash something, to be honest.

Yours,

J

I thought you put a short shifter on Justins car?

Well I doubt anyone can say you waste time, so i'm sure anyone you have to turn down understands ;). Company, Family, supporting us here on the board (greatly appreciated btw), as well as 'fixing' everyone's supra's + the rest!. If Toyota gave an award for commitment to their cars i'm sure you'd have it!

You ever going to get round to doing your own car? I'm sure i'm not the only one interested in your supercharger project! It will be good to see what you've done to Justins car. Which I guess we might see at Oakington (or is that just Darren Dixon)?

I always say that tuning cars is a form of insanity. Taken to an extreme, this madness produces machines such as 6-second drag-bikes. You just have to be mad enough and insane enough to build the thing and ride it.

Same with dragsters. Anyone who would sit in front of a 3000HP motor, on the teetering on the brink of blowing up, must be stark raving mad.

Further down the scale you get the Supras, et al. At the bottom of the scale there are the teenagers who spend ridiculous money, relatively speaking, on old Novas and the like.

I don't know where this madness stems from. In my case I think I was born with it.

My father bought me a large, 00 gauge train set when I was 4 years old. We built it up and, after watching the engines go around a few times, all I wanted to do was dismantle them in order to find out what made them move.

That same basic wanting to find out "how things work" is still within me today. When I first bought my MKIV I drove it for about a week, stuck it in the garage, and began taking it apart to see how it all functioned. To my friends, this behaviour is a constant source of amusement... in that my car spends more time off the road than on it.

But the actual driving aspect of owning a car holds no fascination for me. 99% of the enjoyment I get from car ownership is from working on it developing my tuning ideas.

Recently, I decided to look at some of the member's cars that have been giving them problems. Frankly, I am appalled at the standard of workmanship (or rather the lack of it). I always knew that commercial tuning standards were pretty dire, but I'm having to accept the fact that it is even worse than I thought.    

Hearing the horror stories has made me realise how much these companies feed off people's ignorance of engineering matters. And the money that some of these people have spent is frightening.  

One member contacted me asking my advice on a matter and he happened to mention about how, when Chris Wilson heard the story he was genuinely angry about the fact he felt the person in question had been ripped off.

You see, that's why I like Chris, he feels pretty much the same way as me about things. It makes me feel angry too. But there is a positive side to all this, in that it is *very* gratifying solving problems that no-one else has been able to fix.

Yours,

J

If it hadn't been for Chris Wilsons straight talking, no bullsh*t attitude and HONEST approach to things I would have sold the car by now.  I was at the point where I honestly didn't think I could trust anyone.

Not only that but he's a bloody helpful bloke too, I can't thank him enough for the free help and advice he's given me over the past two years.

Ash, nice to put a face to a name!  As for my car I need the AVCR setup again after it managed to loose its settings and then that's about it until I see Justins car.  I'm *trying* not to spend any money on it at the moment but I'm drooling insanely over the thought of GT2835 turbos and nitrous.  If it proves to be a good setup then  couldl be getting my wallet out......

What I really want is a genuine TRD kit.  The Veilside looks mental but I'm not impressed with the quality.  They should be shot for selling a kit that needs SO much modification for a reasonable fit.  Anyway, first things first.....