The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I need the forums help

Whitesupraboy2

Well this morning, ive had a Fan Belt tensioner failure!

115,000 miles on the clock

The fan belt tensioner is of course big round circle with quite sturdy arm and wheel.....im not lucky enough to have the wheel break off, mine has broke on the big circle area!!

This has intrern flown into the bonnet, then smashed into the pulleys denting a few, then crashing into big Wheel at bottom of the centre of engine (technical term) It has destroyed half the disc.

I was worried cam belt had gone as well, so got AA bloke (after waiting for 2 hours) to quickly remove so i could have a look, the cam belt was frayed to bits but still attached.

The cam case looks like its been shot at by a shotgun and the tensioner that broke off has hit the cam belt tensioner as it is sticking out at a funny angle. :(

The floor pan was ripped off and torn due to the force of the tensioner going though it :(

It is at a garage and hopefully will be looked at this afternnoon.

What i need from you guys;

break down of engine of NA in pic form of auxilerys and cam so i can circle what i need.

I will definatly need some pulleys but cant tell you which until i can circle them.

The big pulley wheel at bottom i guess its off the crank.

I have pics on mobile they will look rubbish but ill attach them.

Thanks already to Dangerous Brain and B'have who already helped me out.:cry:

im trying to look hopefull as cam belt still attached but when the mechanic goes f**king hell and john got have a look at this.:giveup: :thumbdown anyway its at triton motorsport and they seem great lads, even gave me lift round the corner :thanku:

Ouch! Bad luck mate.

Are the fan and bonnet ok?

You can live without the undertray if necessary (I guess that what you meant by 'floor pan' :D )

I've probably got a few of the pulleys, if the NA ones are the same. I've just sent my spare crank pulley to ABSXXX though.

Bonnet doesnt appear dented....but that was gonna be replace....but on hold now!!

Fan is ok and none of the metal got the radiator thank god!!

i had 5,000 miles till camblet done, guy said be lucky if it done another 100!

Ill be posting up what i need later guys, and thanks for your offers so far!!

how much is a new crank pulley?

yea i meant undertray :D lol

Gutted for you mate... got me worried now, I bet on my drive home i listen for every little noise that comes from under the bonnet ;)

you'll be fine, im wondering if it was the load on it that made it go.

70mph, 3000rpm, turning so power steering being used and just put foot down to accerlarate (so of course i thought big probs :D)

there was no noise before or indication. I wonder if this is the first failure of the actual tensioners?

On plus side the tensioner went straight into the radiator of an audi TT :looney:

If any of you have played burnout the game, the cars were like that dodging all the bits of my tensioner and crank pulley that was flying everywhere. Ohh dont the lights look nice when they all start to twinkle at you :music:

Jesus! That's pretty mad. Triton will sort you out, they're good guys in there. I've got a front undertray, dunno if it will fit though as it's from a facelift manual TT of course. I know the ones with an active spoiler are different, have you got one of those?

Jesus! That's pretty mad. Triton will sort you out, they're good guys in there. I've got a front undertray, dunno if it will fit though as it's from a facelift manual TT of course. I know the ones with an active spoiler are different, have you got one of those?

Simon i said u recommended them and praised on the forum. meantioned your car to remind them of who you were :D

I think the undertray can be used again to be honest, though im going aftermarket bumper soon anyway, so prob wont put it back on.

The car is such a mess at moment i wana cry. I got lights to go on to repalce broken ones, bumper needs spraying ..............now this!!:thumbdown

but your right, good lads and let me get the car dropped straight down there! gonna get cam front off and pray the cam tensioner hasnt damaged the block:scare:

well first bit of thanks goes to B'have for some pulleys :) (bro was impressed with your cars...how come your supra doesnt look like that was one of the few words that came from his mouth)

Ill order cam belt tomorrow and tensioner and then the tensioner for the timing belt and then Tensioner for Fan belt, then hunt the big fellow 'the crank pulley' lol

Simon i said u recommended them and praised on the forum. meantioned your car to remind them of who you were :D

Hehe, nice one. You never know, I might get a discount next time something breaks...:) Mine was in there last week being MOTd. They have an "arrangement" with the MOT place when it comes to emmissions if you know what I mean :whistle: .

Ill order cam belt tomorrow and tensioner and then the tensioner for the timing belt and then Tensioner for Fan belt, then hunt the big fellow 'the crank pulley' lol
I've got a spare Aux/'Fan' belt tensioner on my blown 30,000 mile VVTi engine. I'd guess they're the same but you might want to check first.

I've got a spare Aux/'Fan' belt tensioner on my blown 30,000 mile VVTi engine. I'd guess they're the same but you might want to check first.

Jake this is bit that actually broke on mine....right back to the mount of the block, you saying you got whole bit mate?

Though from diagrams attached earlier they look different mountings....or am i reading those diagrams wrong (previously in this thread)