The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Close Call

Nic

We had a mini HK Supra meet at the weekend, only 3 of us this time but it was lots of fun non the less, with much Supra chat and a bit of hooning around.

I had one scary moment though, the roads were dry and fairly quiet, I'd dropped back a bit, I could see the others up ahead, so as I came out of a roundabout I gave it a bit of juice, that was when everything suddenly went sideways. I wasn't going too fast and hadn't accelarated that hard, but it snapped so quickly I didn't have time to catch it, as I was already out of control all I could do was brake and hope I stopped before I hit the central concrete barrier. Ended up facing the wrong way without hitting anything and could see that the exit of the roundabout was covered in liquid, probably water, but the way it just let go it may have been oil or diesel.

That was the first time in 8 years of Supra ownership I'd ever lost it completely like that. Looking back I think I was looking at the other 2 up ahead and completely missed the wet patch on the roundabout, I also had my RLTC turned down to 20% as the roads were dry, so it never had a chance to kick in. The other thing I realise afterwards was that I hadn't checked my tyre pressures since fitting my new wheels, checked them afterwards and they were all too high.

Count myself very lucky to get away with it as well as I did, could have been so much worse if I'd been going a bit quicker, or if there were other cars around me.

Drive safely out there :ok:

Anyone for a RLTC group buy? ;)

If that was set at 5% and your tyre pressures were normal, it might have been much more controllable.

Yes if I'd had the RLTC set on dry or 5% then it would probably have kicked in, I normally drive around on 15 or 20% in the dry, normally don't expect to suddenly hit a wet patch like that on a completely dry day though :complain:. I should have checked my tyre pressures too, that was just stupid of me to forget :looney:

I had one scary moment though, the roads were dry and fairly quiet, I'd dropped back a bit, I could see the others up ahead....

The NA was ahead and the TT needed desparately to catch up :rlol:

Seriously you were lucky but it did look good in the mirror... :woot:

The area has a lot of container lorrys using it and there is landfill site at the end of that road, so they water it constantly. Combination of water and rubber residue is not good for traction :lalala: