The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Burning smell...

nismo_lp

Has any one ever experienced a burning plastic smell coming from the engine? More to the pasengers side???... and can someone please tell me what this it (see pic - the black thing) and whether it should make a 'clicking' noise after then engine is just turned off???

Thanks for the help.

Image007.jpg

Image006.jpg

In my view if it smells like burning plastic then it probably is burning plastic, have you got anything cable tied or have you dropped anything plastic in to the engine bayor have you run over a carrier bag and had it stick to the exhaust? that happened on my old car and it smelt of burnt plastic for ages. :p

It won't be your pulley mate like mine. I smelt it then litteraly it went up so i wouldn't worry about that as it would've done it by now. What i would do is jack it up and look for any oil that might have dripped onto your exhaust or for any signs of plastic melting. These engines can smell sometimes after a bootfull anyway as they run so hot.

If in doubt still book it in somewhere you trust and get the pro's to look at it.

It won't be your pulley mate like mine. I smelt it then litteraly it went up so i wouldn't worry about that as it would've done it by now. What i would do is jack it up and look for any oil that might have dripped onto your exhaust or for any signs of plastic melting. These engines can smell sometimes after a bootfull anyway as they run so hot.

If in doubt still book it in somewhere you trust and get the pro's to look at it.

Looked all around the engine... no signs of any leaks etc. Sounds to me that it must be the recently wired delimiter... would also explain why it smells like its coming from the engine through the air vents and mainly on the passenger side (foot well), must be the wires behind the speedo and odo???

if its fitted wromg your dash could go on fire who fitted it mate

Hes a top bloke actually... been dealing with modding cars for quite a long time now, although he havent worked with supras that much. It was the 1st time hed fitted 1 of these to a supra. Il ring him in the morning.

In my view if it smells like burning plastic then it probably is burning plastic, have you got anything cable tied or have you dropped anything plastic in to the engine bayor have you run over a carrier bag and had it stick to the exhaust? that happened on my old car and it smelt of burnt plastic for ages. :p

Spot on ... carrier bag it is. It EXTREMELY melted so you cant tell that it ever was a bag, have to look hard and it looks like a damp/gooey patch on the exhourst. What a bastard! Had the supe off the road for a week because of that! :cry: At lest there nothing wrong with the car!