The mkiv Supra Owners Club

odd whine

RobSheffield

ok, i searched but only found mention of the 'death whine'

searched MKiv.com, because im sure there was a file somewhere that was a recording of 'death whine'

i have an odd noise on my car when boosting hard...be aware that its only my 5th day with the car on the road, so virtually every noise is 'odd' to me!

my fuel pump is as noisy as i dont know what (im told its an aftermarket one...plans to remove it and identify it soon)

this new noise sounded similar to the fuel pump, but seemed to come from the front of the car...and now it doesnt do it any more!

any ideas?!

Cheers Rob,

I have an intermittant noise that comes in at around 4000 RPM, sounds a bit like death whine, but it's only very short lived, and it isn't every time I get to 4000. When it does occur I can kinda feel it through the accelerator pedal.

Is this the same sort of noise as yours?

Mike

Cheers Rob,

I have an intermittant noise that comes in at around 4000 RPM, sounds a bit like death whine, but it's only very short lived, and it isn't every time I get to 4000. When it does occur I can kinda feel it through the accelerator pedal.

Is this the same sort of noise as yours?

Mike

i think its your tyre tread pattern think stu told me about it

Hmmm, I can get my non-turbo Volvo 440 to make a sound like that.

Theres is this one corner near my village and both the Supra and the Volvo make the same scary noise at about 60 at this corner. Weird but it might add weight to the tyre noise theory.

I have started a few threads regarding a whine I am getting at certain revs, usually when the boost starts to come in.

Its not the `death whine` but is a loud howl/drone noise. You can hold the noise if you keep the revs constant, as soon as you give it just a bit more gas/or back off slightly it stops instantly?

There have been quite a few suggestions from split pipes causing a boost leak to prop bearings. Ultimately I am going to have to get it looked at, if I get a successful diagnosis of the problem I will post it up.