The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Having a nightmare!!

MaveriK

So, the story so far.............

All was going well until i tore a new hole for a Skyline, nice bloke though except when we pulled over told me i was smoking a bit. Go and get a couple of opinions and finally decide to replace stock tubbies with hybrids.

Dropped car off with Paul at Max-GT (best quote by a mile) and was hoping to pick car up when i got back from working in Spain.

It all goes down hill from here!

All out of Pauls hands but parts didnt get delivered when they should have which drew the project out. Also we got into a routine of me calling him (well pestering if i was honest) and him giving me bad news. Started with front tyres down the wire (wonder how that happened), radiator wasnt stock and needed changing back as it really wasnt cutting the mustard, rear tyres on the way out (nothing to do with my driving honest Guv!) and the final one of the bottom end dieing :faint: .

So, after a chat with Paul K (or the bad luck jester as i now think of him) we are rebuilding the blessed thing.

This journey of pain will soon be at an end and i cant wait to get the beast back fully upgraded and ready to rock.

My thanks go out to Paul at Max-GT for all his efforts thus far, he hasnt bitched at all even with my ignorance and constant pestering. :thumbs:

And not to forget Paul at Miami-GT who again has put up with my constant hassling and has come through with some mighty nice bling :D .

Oh, and my

why is it that suddenly when I hear Max-GT I hear "my bottom end needs re-doing"?

I have never spoken to Paul so please forgive any ignorance and this is by no meaans the start of a campaign of hate lol, I have just seen a few posts and had a few telephone convos where the same thing has been mentioned.

What are the symptoms that require a rebuild of the bottom end and how long did you have those symptoms for?

Paul rang and said he had found oil in the breather pipes and also could hear a horrid noise piston or rod related (cant remember as i had fell on the floor at this point). He said before he would do anymore work for me to come and have a look/listen to the problem. Had a ponder off the phone and rang back to discuss my options. He gave it to me nice and straight and although for a time i was giddy on BHP options he talked me into going as near as dammit stock except for a couple of bits and bobs. Plus he has played a blinder with the cost and payment.

hmmm, doesn't actually answer anything I asked though, wen you had the car, did you notice any funky noises or knocking?

I have been around supras for a couple of years now and I have NEVER heard of so many bottom ends needing doing, I think I heard of 1 two years ago that was done by holden but through choice, not a problem. These are one of the most solid engines around. What did you notice before you took it in there and did anyone look at it before/after Paul?

Chers

Guest slow dog

it has piston slap mate on cold start up it then goes when hot you are welcome to come down and have a listen mate if you want ?

also its the third re build i have had in a year first one was in for a set of turbos there was so much coke in the oil it blocked all oil ways to the turbos and killed them when we looked at the block it was near on the same way the other one was done by another company and was smoking to a very high standard and needed doing propley