The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to protect from rust??

how_supra

I keep hearing stories of FTO folks who have had serious problems with rust with the underneath of their cars, with the most extreme being severe corrosion of the chasis. :cry:

My engine already has two rust patches - one to the left and the other under the battery.

Now I've treated that with Hammerite, but am I right to assume you can get underseal for the underneath of the car just the same sort of thing, and do it myself??

Sabrina

To be really effective, the underside of the car needs thoroughly cleaning before spraying the underseal on (with an underseal gun)

Personally, I just spray a covering of waxoyl under my Supra in the autumn.

It's a messy job, but works well.

You really need to get the car up on axle stands to do a proper job. I spray the waxoyl out of a paraffin gun at about 50psi. You probably haven't got one of those, so you'll have to get the waxoyl spray kit.

Maybe I've got you confused, but don't you work in a garage or something. It's so much easier a job, if you can persuade someone to let you put it on the ramp to do it.

Sabrina

To be really effective, the underside of the car needs thoroughly cleaning before spraying the underseal on (with an underseal gun)

Personally, I just spray a covering of waxoyl under my Supra in the autumn.

It's a messy job, but works well.

You really need to get the car up on axle stands to do a proper job. I spray the waxoyl out of a paraffin gun at about 50psi. You probably haven't got one of those, so you'll have to get the waxoyl spray kit.

Maybe I've got you confused, but don't you work in a garage or something. It's so much easier a job, if you can persuade someone to let you put it on the ramp to do it.

No I don't work in a gargage :blush:

But I know a garage who will possibly let me use their ramps. :p

I assumed I would need to clean the under neath of the car. I've never really thought about protecting the underneath of my car until I bought the FTO. For some reason it feels necessary.

Thanks fors the heads up Chris. :thanku: I've just looked through all the paperwork on the car, no alternator replaced as of yet..................:giveup:

With my luck I expect it to go sometime shortly then........:tumble:

Ian my engine mounts are also not the best, got a second hand pair from Ricerocket, any ideas on how difficult it is to change them??

Is their a list i can advertise them on, Ian? Cheers.

Post up them up on:

http://www.jcars.co.uk/mmc/fto/bbs/config.cgi

or i can post the details up there for you if you'd like. I think i might also still be able to post up on the FTO owners club site.

Need to find out which model they're for first though.

GPX & GPVR (2 litre V6 MIVEC) versions both use a 4 pin alternator as the regulator is controlled by the ecu, GR ( 2 litre V6 non-Mivec) & GS (1.8 litre) versions use a 2 pin (or might be 3 pin but can't remeber).

Ian my engine mounts are also not the best, got a second hand pair from Ricerocket, any ideas on how difficult it is to change them??

Sorry Sabrina i don't, never had to have them done.

Id give Mark@Eurospec a call (07768 196825), he's a great bloke, cheap too!