The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need new tyres help wanted re: lifespan.

RedM

Decided I need new tyres as my current tyres have plenty tread left but probably not enough to be safe on a car like the Supra.

The tyres I have are Nexen N3000s which, according to BlackCircles, are pretty good for the money.

What I want from my future tyres is good grip in the wet and the dry. They also need to be hard wearing. The Supra is my daily drive and I do about 15,000 miles per year.

Is it possible to get a decent tyre that will last a whole year? I do mostly urban driving with about 20 long (over 200 miles) motorway journeys each year. I sometimes get a little spirited but try not to wheelspin, drift or anything alse that will eat tyres.

F1s get good marks but I hear they'll need replacing after about 8000 miles. Also, Ian C mentioned P Zeros recently as being good in the wet and dry. How long will they last on average?

i had bridgestones patonza or something like that. The went very quickly but i was messing about a lot. but if you say people expect 8000 then they did well were quite new when i got the car and i have done 7 since and only just had to change them. i did a runway (bovingdon) and lots of the back coming out when pulling out of junctions. expensive way to have fun.

Im now on F1's. no more spinning for me and as for grip, they are superb!

Not sure how people manage to go through tyres so quickly. My F1s have done probably 15000 miles including 3 hours round Silverstone GP track and still have some tread left.

My F1's last really well too, i give my car a bit of stick round castle combe regularly and they seem to last for ages (i cant give you any ideas of how many miles as i usually end up replacing them half worn when some helpfull little scrote puts a screw or a nail in one:thumbdown )

I personally prefer Pirelli P-zero's - been advised by a lot of people to pay the extra for them as they last a hell of a long time compared to others... Definately not the cheapest by far, but you get what you pay for .

Also original spec on all new lamborghini's so they must be damn good :p

Goodyear F1's work well in wet, not bad in dry. Good wet grip + long life are pretty much incompatible. Good wet grip needs a softish compounds and lots of sipes. Good dry grip needs a hardish compound and few sipes (slick ideallly...).

Is sipe a real word or have you been on the real ale again? :confused:

I like Pirelli's :thumbs: Wouldn't have anything else really. The Nero's are great in the wet and have dry grip comparable to the P0's...

-Ian

All very subjective, depends on your driving style.

For me:

F1's - excellent tyre though no life at all

Toyo Proxe - great all round tyre - a little soft and not too long lasting

Michelin - pants!

Bridgestone Expedia - good all rounder with life and grip when needed good VFM.

Pirelli - P9000 - a little too hard for a Supe.

Avon's - pants!

I'm not really a 'spirited' driver but there are times I require a 'little' grip and the Expidias have done well so far have got around 6000 out of the rears with about another 3 maybe more to go.

I got a pair of GSD 3s from Black Circles fitted plus the usual for 230 quid! They were doing an offer - might still be - worth having a look - great tyres.

What size tyres are you running?

I am running 255 40 17 on the rears and just had both replaced for £202 including fitting etc. I find that they offer excellent grip. The last ones I had on were GSD 3's as well, they came with the car when I bought it (were pretty new - only about 1,000 miles on them). They lasted me another 7,000-8,000 miles and that's inlcuding all those runs and a bit of drifting at Bovingdon.

I've bought two Vredestein tyres fairly recently to go on the back.

I'd never heard of them until my tyre dealer recommended them, he said they've won auto express best tyre 5 times incl last year and this.

They are a good all season tyre, and are a resonable price too!!!

I,ve done approx 2500 miles on them and i've not had the back end go on me once....yet!

Have a read here http://www.estrictlyforeign.com/tires.asp

:ok:

Martin, give that Motorsave place up near the Shell garage in Morley a go, make a price up and they will match it, they did me 2 F1s for £280 all in (275/35/18) last week.

BTW the F1s are really good, normally I'd get a bit of slip when I set off in the wet, these haven't done it at all yet.

I know I am going to get slammed for asking this question, but - As I am not really a 'spirited' driver and really only pootle around apart from the odd burst of adrenalin - how the hell do you guys get up to 15000 out of a rear set of tyres? Especially F1's - presume your not driving tt's?...