The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS Camshafts

supRo

Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of getting some but unsure.....

I have searched the threads to get more info. Most people recommend 256in / 264ex for bpu/small single.

My questions...

1, Will I lose slight power lower down in the rev range?

2, Is it worth doing for a BPU car running upto 1.2 bar??

3, I'm having the cam cover gaskets replaced anyway, is it a big job still to then replace the stock cam shafts with the HKS?

Thanks,

Ro

Thanks Terry!

I think I'll give the camshafts a miss for the time being!

Found out what the brake clonking was.....slight play on the CW rear pads and I don't have any anti squeel/rattle shims which should help.

Shims ordered..........

:)

Cheers,

Ro

1. I didn't *notice* any loss low down, you will get a very slight reduction though.

2. My in256/ex264 cams gave a noticable increase in mid-upper end power, running stock J turbos at 1.2bar. Cams will make a bigger difference once you go single.

Guest Terry S
Thanks Terry!

I think I'll give the camshafts a miss for the time being!

Found out what the brake clonking was.....slight play on the CW rear pads and I don't have any anti squeel/rattle shims which should help.

Shims ordered..........

Cheers,

Ro

Ah I thought they were stock pads, as I was suprised as Mark had to flatten out the high spots.

I also hear that 264/264 and 264/272 and 272/272 are worthwhile choices, didn`t think the 256 was that much different from stock.

256 has a fair bit of extra duration and a shedload more lift (2mm+) compared to the stock J-spec cams. I run 256in 264ex and the 'on-cam' tuning effect gave me about 70bhp on the dyno from the usual power peak to the rev limit (it's an interesting curve to be sure :) ), so I'd say they are very worthwhile. The idle is lumpy, it'd be worse with wider cams than 256in and performance benefits in a stock setup would I suspect be minimal, even in a big single application I'd still stick to 256/264 for road use.

The intake needs less duration than the exhaust due to the head design, but I don't know if that takes into account the restrictive stock setup. Perhaps a tubular manifold and big turbo means matched cams are more worthwhile, but I'd stick to staggered ones with stock based turbos in place - otherwise you get no extra flow through the engine and more cam overlap giving less power low down and a rougher idle.

Having said that, Smarty's 264/264 setup on stock twins seemed ok but I didn't really have anything to compare it to. Idled about as rough as mine, meh.

-Ian

The idle on mine with the 256/264 cams and stock turbos and emanage seems quite normal.

I couldn't say mine was smooth like stock and not be lying, but it's alright, I mean it runs at 650rpm and never stalls, fine by me. It sounds quite cool actually :sly:

-Ian

Cool post Ian

So when would you say 264/272 would be a good option, what sort of benefit where in the rev range could be expected?

I don't know. On mine the torque levels off at about 5000rpm and start heading south, then the 256/264 combo kicks in at about 5,300rpm and makes it all head north again until 6,600rpm. It was a double run on the dyno and the overlaid curves are almost identical so it's a repeatable phenomenon - Digsy figured out wtf was going on :D

From what I remember of a dyno test the americans did once the loss from 264 to 272 below 4000rpm is much more marked than from 256 to 264. The gains, however, were minimal until something crazy like 6500rpm. I wouldn't fit 272s for a road car as from what I've seen you'll lose overall performance, a lot of area under the graph for not much benefit up top.

I'm sure they are great at 9000rpm :devil:

-Ian