The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Erroneous Cables

Alex

At least one of those near your gearstick is for an auto box. Yes, they really do only have one wiring loom fits-all.

Hence, if you have the GZ you'll have two spare sockets in the dashboard for the slave amp too.

I've got a spare small one too. Not concerned 'cos it'll be for an option my car doesn't have fitted.

The engine bay connector has me stumped as I have no desire to go rooting around in the wiring under the bonnet no way no how. Ash will be your man for that one.

Quote: from Phil Wall on 12:09 am on Oct. 6, 2001[br]The location of the engine bay connector is the favourite spot for aftermarket alarms. The Jap owner may have had the expensive bits taken out and left the loom.

My car has very few wires in that area, most are for the alarm

The 'Good Book' shows an option fit alarm/immobiliser, might be for that as Phil says.

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 9:01 am on Oct. 8, 2001[br]Hmmmm, thanks guys. I'm surprised about the alarm thing as I would have thought the people who fitted the clifford would have noticed it.....

Cheers

As far as I know  an alarm installer will not touch the wiring of another system.

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 9:01 am on Oct. 8, 2001[br]Hmmmm, thanks guys. I'm surprised about the alarm thing as I would have thought the people who fitted the clifford would have noticed it.....

Which of the 3 cables in side do you think are for the auto box?

Cheers

Before I go rooting through the diagrams, do you *really* need to know?

Err the usual.

Boost control, Fuel computer, data logging from the MINES ECU. A couple of gauges... I don't know!

I've never had any fuel or boost controller in my hands never seen one in the box so I have no idea what sort of connectors they would have.

Hence my confusion...considering the spec of the car it seems odd to me that there are no obvious add on computers.

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 12:51 pm on Oct. 8, 2001[br]Err the usual.

Boost control, Fuel computer, data logging from the MINES ECU. A couple of gauges... I don't know!

I've never had any fuel or boost controller in my hands never seen one in the box so I have no idea what sort of connectors they would have.

Hence my confusion...considering the spec of the car it seems odd to me that there are no obvious add on computers.

Why would you have Add on computers if you have a MINES ECU installed? Would sort of defeat the point wouldn't it?

Correct, Alex.

In general, manufacturers do not make oodles of different wiring looms for one car dependant upon chosen options.

They will have a base loom. Then, if you were to have air-con, for example (I know the MKIV comes with climate control but I'm using this as a general example), the air-con system would have it's own loom but would plug into the base loom at some point. Same with other options such as ABS.

For more simple add-ons, you often find the relevent plugs are already fitted, unused, to the base loom. You see this often on more mainstream vehicles where simple things like front foglamps may be an optional extra. The wiring will be present but the switch cutout will have a blank fitted.

Yours,

J

Cheers Ash,

That should mean the other cables should be easy to identify as they are all different and colour coded....

HardHead/Rich,

The MINES from what I can gather is a set device - you program it and off you go. It can adjust the map for the fuel on the fly like the normal ECU but that's it. I've been told that its fully compatable with other controllers such as the HKS EVC and no doubt there are others it works with.... which is the disapointing thing about the MINES unit. I wish it came with a manually controlable computer which just sat on the dashboard...nnice 7" touch screen tft with multiple area of control...whoops I'm off dreaming again....

I'm still working on getting my MINES ECU looked at no doubt there will be celbratory fireworks over Norwich when I get to the end of this "riddle".

So we reckon 1 cable is for heated seats and one for the automatic....I don't have folding mirrors but that control is on the door side of the dash......Mine is an RZ model.

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 8:49 pm on Oct. 8, 2001[br]Cheers Ash,

That should mean the other cables should be easy to identify as they are all different and colour coded....

HardHead/Rich,

The MINES from what I can gather is a set device - you program it and off you go. It can adjust the map for the fuel on the fly like the normal ECU but that's it. I've been told that its fully compatable with other controllers such as the HKS EVC and no doubt there are others it works with.... which is the disapointing thing about the MINES unit. I wish it came with a manually controlable computer which just sat on the dashboard...nnice 7" touch screen tft with multiple area of control...whoops I'm off dreaming again....

I'm still working on getting my MINES ECU looked at no doubt there will be celbratory fireworks over Norwich when I get to the end of this "riddle".

So we reckon 1 cable is for heated seats and one for the automatic....I don't have folding mirrors but that control is on the door side of the dash......Mine is an RZ model.

Ahh right, was sort of comparing it to the A'PEXi PowerFC I have fitted on the Integra. It's fully programmable via a hand held unit (FC Commander) or PC (but only at APEXi dealers as that's the only people they will sell the software to), even lets you plug in a boost controller solenoid and controls that too EVEN ON AN N/A HONDA !!!(subject to adding a turbo naturally)

(Edited by HardHead42 at 11:44 pm on Oct. 8, 2001)