The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dont like the wet now!

Scooby

Ok I know I should have expected it but, I have just decatted my uk spec manual supra and was out in the wet for the first time at the weekend!

It is amazing how differant the car is to drive now and the second turbo really holds you in your seat. Anyway I was a little worried to find out that my car now has the ability to spin the rear wheels just by coming onto boost, even worse was when it did it in 4th gear on the bypass!! Needless to say my passanger was slightly concerned as well!!!!

Cant wait to get the boost controller fitted!

Does RLTC prevent sideways slip? I can understand how it would keep you going in a straight line but into a corner slightly too fast, the unit detects a loss of grip and does what? Surely if it cuts the power the weight transfer would still throw you? Can it really cut just enough power to slow the wheels the amount need to keep you on the road?

Anyone link me to a page that would help? Traction control for Dummies or the like.

Does RLTC prevent sideways slip? I can understand how it would keep you going in a straight line but into a corner slightly too fast, the unit detects a loss of grip and does what? Surely if it cuts the power the weight transfer would still throw you? Can it really cut just enough power to slow the wheels the amount need to keep you on the road?

Anyone link me to a page that would help? Traction control for Dummies or the like.

Will do nothing for over/understeer my old chum.....only helps control the power your putting down on the tarmac

dont need any mods at all, only thing you need to adjust is your right foot in the wet :violin:
I don't think that's completely true. When my car had the smaller Jap 16" wheels on and some unknown Jap make tyres, just pulling onto a roundabout which had an excessive camber would cause the car to slide.

Will do nothing for over/understeer my old chum.....only helps control the power your putting down on the tarmac

So you can barrel into a corner too fast and that's it, goodnight Vienna, but it will allow you to pull out of a corner faster than without it. Is that about right?

there wont be, if you steam a corner in the wet at 60mph your gonna slide there is no two ways about it......there are devices you can get that adjust the power at al 4 wheels differently according to how much slip the ecu is predicting and adjusts the power accordingly to stop you sliding out....do you mean that

there is no device that can save you from heading full tilt into a corner in the wet and staying on the road

I'm sure the Jaguar ESP does exactly that. They threw it into a series of violent left, right, left turn and it didn't slip much at all.

This was on snow, BTW. I posted about it at the time

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35509&highlight=esp+gear

It did actually take into account the motion of the car and did all these little independant braking things for each wheel to keep the car in check.

I loved it when Clarkson drove the Skyline (I think) and kept saying how brilliant the computers were and that it was impossible to crash - bit of a stupid statement for a presenter to make really it's not magical or anything I'm sure it's pretty easy to crash it if that's what you wanted to do - he was still drifting it for a start, a lesser driver couldn't have controlled it as well.

So no RLTC and ESP won't save you from everything, and may even give you a false sense of security (so you crash at 120 instead of 50).

I'm sure the Jaguar ESP does exactly that. They threw it into a series of violent left, right, left turn and it didn't slip much at all.

This was on snow, BTW. I posted about it at the time

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35509&highlight=esp+gear

It did actually take into account the motion of the car and did all these little independant braking things for each wheel to keep the car in check.

you could be right actually now you mention it, I think I remember now...heaven knows how that works though, I imagine your looking at serious coinage to get that installed

the rules of physics will always apply, no matter what you do to the car

bigger brakes, you still have to stop a 1.5 tonne car

RLTC - with 2 turbos on a 3 litre car, some slip will still occur (slightly)

ESP on jaguars etc - are not infallible

if you try hard enough you could still unsettle them, and this has been proven by the crashed R34GTRs we hear of

RedM, i think that the RLTC will hekp in 90% of situations, but you wil still need to drive a bit carefully

I agree that with a stockish UK spec, you don't NEED RLTC but it's nice to have just in case you get a particulary greasy road. I don't have it but my UK is running standard boost right now and it's fine in all honesty. If you nail it in 2nd or 3rd in the wet, it will spin the wheels still but if you're pointing straight (i.e. you don't do it in the middle of a bend) then it's very controllable.

On the other hand, if you're running cheap tyres that aren't very wide, then even light throttle and make the car slip and slide into a tree. My F1s were just changed and the ones that came off were a joke. I was spinnin the wheels in 6th on the motorway, over and white lines, out of any junction no matter how lightly i pulled away. If you're tyres are crap Scooby, sort those out before RLTC IMO :) If you're tyres are decent then RLTC would be a great mod (see group buy http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=47292 ) - it might help save you but remember that it's not a substitute for common sense :D

I loved it when Clarkson drove the Skyline (I think) and kept saying how brilliant the computers were and that it was impossible to crash - bit of a stupid statement for a presenter to make really it's not magical or anything I'm sure it's pretty easy to crash it if that's what you wanted to do - he was still drifting it for a start, a lesser driver couldn't have controlled it as well.

His opinion of 'driving' is 0... you saw him at the Ring, he cant drive for shite :clap: