The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going BPU

Guest nilpoints

Guest nilpoints

Hi

I'm not going to ask the usual questions about what this is. I've used the search button and I'm looking at (I believe):-

1. Full De-Cat (with easy removability so I can re-install (2nd?) cat for MOT). with Restrictor Ring as appropriate to not exceed 1.2 BAR.

2. New aftermarket exhaust.

3. FCD

4. Boost Controller/Gauge - I want to be able to run standard boost most times with the option to increase as the circumstances dictate. I hope this will remove the elevated second turbo kick and keep me on the road in the wet. I'd like this where the clock is so I can remove on sale if necessary.

5. New plugs?

At the same time, if possible, I would like the kmh/mph converter removing and a new one installing. The current one does not change the odometer, has not converted the front spoiler or power steering and has been known to cause the speedo to shut off (my previous one also did this and was down to the converter).

I want someone to do all of this for me and set it up so it is working fine. I'm happy butchering old cars but don't want to get this wrong.

The questions are (any guidance would be great):-

1. Are Toyauto in Nottingham any good?

2. I'm based in Nottingham and can't really travel too far to get the car done. I can live without the car for a few days as I have a motorbike. Is there anywhere Midlands/South Yorkshire ish that anyone would recommend?

3. What am I looking at in terms of £?

Thanks in advance.

Nilpoints.

Id recommend Chris Wilson on here. Look him up in the members list for contact details. He is based in Whittchurch which isnt exactly close to you but neither is it miles away and IMHO is well worth the visit. He did mine for me and supplied the double decat, FCD, new plugs, restrictor ring, saving you the effort of getting them all together. Id get it booked in for a service while you are there also.

In term of money its hard to say really because it depends on the parts you need. Ill send you a pm with how much mine cost but bear in mind i had other work done.

Regarding your point 4, I think it's going to depend completely on whether your car is a J or UK spec.

The small wastegate on the J-spec means you can raise the boost with a decat / restrictor ring, but not lower it. I imagine that a way of doing this would be to fit a 0.8bar restrictor ring if you can get one, then raising the boost when you need it via a boost controller :conf: But bare in mind that a boost controller can only raise the boost, not lower it.

If your car is a UK supra (larger wastegate I think), you can decat and then use an electronic boost controller to switch between standard and raised boost :thumbs:

Hey mate,

Will you be using a manual or electronic boost controller to change boost? With electronic and I think with a manual boost controller too, you can't lower the boost than what the car is making anyway. So If you want to keep it to stock boosting then you need a restrictor ring that can keep the boost down to 0.7/0.8 bar and turn it up using the boost controller.

If your car is an oldish jap or high mileage, you may want to change the pump to a walbro as the jap pumps deterioate over the years.

Spark plugs - yes a colder grade than stock, see spark plug FAQ.

AFAIK I think fitting a boost gauge on the center vent is easier as that size is more common?

kmh/mph convertor - I would go for the Thor one and reccomend Thor for all the work. They are good at diagnosing speedo related issues and also after doing your mods, get it on their dyno to make sure the car is running well especially with the higher boosting. They are based near coventry