The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much for a new boot rubber seal thing?

RedM

Ever since putting new boot rubbers in I've been convinced that the boot isn't shutting fully.

The rear window mists up in the rain and I can hear sound from outside clearly from the direction of the boot. Looking at the rubber seal it does appear to have lost it's shape a bit and I'm wondering if that could be the cause.

How much are they and can they be obtained from anywhere other than Toyota?

Oh, and despite the new rubbers the boot still rattles :complain:

Have you adjusted the rear hatch catch on the body? After fitting new rear rubber bump stop this will need re-alligning.

The full rear weather seal for the boot costs just over £80 from Toyota, I can't see why any other company would offer an alternative as its use is kind of limited!!

Have you adjusted the rear hatch catch on the body? After fitting new rear rubber bump stop this will need re-alligning.

No! I didn't even know this would need to be done. What kind of a job is it? Difficult, easy, a *cough* five minute job?

It'll take less than 5 minutes. If you remove the rear boot plastic (The bit on the car, not the hatch) you'll be able to get to the catch. IIRC there's two bolts holding it in place, you should be able to move the catch down a few mm so the hatch closes tighter. Voila!

Strange, could well be the boot seal, though I'd be surprised it that was causing an knocking. Are you sure you don't have a suspension problem (Top mounts maybe)?

You could try adding a couple of washers the hatch rubbers (It'll bring the seal closer), if that doesn't cure it you can rule out a hatch rattle as the cause.