The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hi im a newbie

craigst200

hi all, just a quickie, i own a vectra supertourin 200 but is interested in a supra 3l tt, my m8 has a green one on a M plate, 330bhp, full leather, with body kit, alloys, i am test drivin it tomorrow or sunday, what would i expect to pay for this car as i dont know much about them and what should i look out for, many thanx

Hi mate and welcome. You'll need to find out if it's an import, manual/auto, what's been done under the hood. Also the brakes would be a good thing to look at with winter coming. Take a picture of the front ones if you can and someone can tell you if they are J spec or the better UK's

its a jap import but been in the uk for abot 6-8 yrs i cant remember, does the brakes on these get affected in winter??

its a jap import but been in the uk for abot 6-8 yrs i cant remember, does the brakes on these get affected in winter??

No, what James was getting at is that there are two types of brake setups on Supras. One the smaller "Jap spec" brakes, the other are larger "UK" brakes, which were an option on the later Jap cars. The larger brakes are really worthwhile as they will cost at least £1k to upgrade to if you choose to later.

If you want to have an independent view of the car get all details of it from your next visit (inc photos) and post up on here. I'm sure someone from the club would be able to spare some time to view the car with you if you ask.

Vectra -> Supra TT = huge, huge, huge difference! If its a good'un, once you go for a drive you'll be hooked!

Welcome BTW :)

well just taken it for a drive and i got for 3-4 hrs, i took it out and boy odes it go but then the second turbo cut it and it planted my head in the seat, it has lsd, abs, tc, foldin mirrors, full leather, standard bonnet scoop ( its like the flat ones on the ferrari), the brakes do need upgradin, but as on my veccy i have got 330mm discs with 4 pot ap racin calipres so the brakin needs to be up to scratch with the veccy on that one, but i cant get over the amount of power and its runnin at 1.5bar.

Welcome!

Glad you enjoyed the test drive so much! The grin factor usually lasts a few days :D It's bound to be a real contrast from the Vectra!

Firstly, it shouldn't be running 1.5bar unless it's got some decent turbo upgrade, otherwise its a ticking timebomb waiting to go wrong (blown turbo no doubt) - 1.2bar = a safe limit with stock turbos - you had better enquire about exactly whats been done to it in that department...

secondly, it costs no where near 1k to change the j-spec brakes to uk 4 pot ones, even a brand new uk brake kit is only circa £500 and if you source some parts secondhand it can be significantly less than this. I think my uk brake upgrade is going to leave me with change from £250 :) So although you should consider it in the price, don't let it worry you too much.

Hope your hooked now, welcome aboard, you won't regret it I'm sure :D

it costs no where near 1k to change the j-spec brakes to uk 4 pot ones, even a brand new uk brake kit is only circa £500

Chilli are you talking about just doing the fronts?? I've read on here a few people frowning on just upgrading the fronts and leaving the rears as it upsets the balance.

1.5 bar is more what you'd expect off of hybrids so maybe ask him about when/if the turbo's have been changed. I may be tottaly wrong, but i'm sure i was chatting to someone the other day about them running 1.5 through their UK turbo's?? And with the UK bonet vent it makes for an interesting car. I wonder if it's a proper UK vent or a rice one.

Yes, fronts only. When you brake really hard nearly all the weight of the car is on the front anyway, they do most of the work. When people fit massive 6 pot fronts they often don't make the rear match, diminishing returns really. Of course, to do both front and back is gonna cost more, but its the fronts that are going to make the biggest, most important difference...

just took it bk and i am now really really gutted, i have a baby boy of 7 mths in car seat which made the misses quite sqwashed in the front and my 4 yr old daughter behind me which made me uncomfortable so its gona be o no no, but gona look into gettin a second car, i think it has got hybrids but what a lovely car to drive