The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Track day skid lids - which one?

RICHARDA

Cool, just weighing up the pros and cons, the obvious advice is with safety equipment to buy the best you can afford but I will be new to this and don't want to spend too much to begin with, see how it goes. Also some advise the full face offers more protection from glass, and wind in open cockpit etc and protects your chin, but the open face allows for better communication if you have a friend or instructor with you.:shrug:

I would ALWAYS recommend you use a decent full face helmet and a REALLY good race spec visor, kept down at all times, even in a closed car. Get an FIA / RACMSA approved one, and you won't go wrong. I have several excellent quality helmets that have never had so much as a tap, but are over the date threshold. No one ever seems to be able to find a good used helmet in their size though, Sods Law.

Because otherwise they wouldn't be able to talk to their co-drivers and vice versa.

Yeah, but I thought they used intercom systems anyway.

Went down to local bike shop today as I have heard that bike lids are OK to use and have a ECE22-05 ACU GOLD approval, can anyone confirm if it is OK to use bike lids with this approval, Chris?

Ta

Rich

Yeah, but I thought they used intercom systems anyway.

Went down to local bike shop today as I have heard that bike lids are OK to use and have a ECE22-05 ACU GOLD approval, can anyone confirm if it is OK to use bike lids with this approval, Chris?

Ta

Rich

All very well having an intercom, but if all you get across it is "mumble mumble mumble MUMBLE ARGGHHH!" doesn't help much! :innocent:

Not completely sure, but I think that's the Bike approval. To be really sure you need one that's BSI BS 6658-85 Type A approved, or FIA approved as that's what track days in theory insist on. Can't see them checking in practise, but you might as well get a Type A approved one. They're all probably as good as each other, it's just that some of the bike ones they won't have bothered submitting it for anything other than the bike approval test.