The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alarm that takes Photos/video??

Guest madder_ali

Guest madder_ali

After reading the thread started by dirrtymatt about a 'hit and run' on his car, made me start thinking. Would it be possible to set up an alarm that took pictures and sent them via sms or email? Possibly even saving video. Save higher quality images to an on board hard drive or Compact flash card?

Does anyone know of anything that does this?

By setting it up to save to an on board computer by a trigger via door opening sensors or alarm activation. Ideally it would take pictures at intervals of say 2 seconds for 1 minute (or video ) Would cover areas like drivers seat, front rear and sides of car ( externally to get images of hit and run drivers / hopefully capture number plate! )

I know a guy that worked in security fitting cctv systems, mini infrared cameras are alot cheaper than I would have expected. Ill try to talk to him and see if they do any low voltage systems.

Would this footage be admissable as evidence in the same way cctv footage is?

Currently I know that there are alarms that text you when they are stolen, so it should be possible to sms pictures.

On another side even if it just saved to an on board computer, cars are often broken into and not stolen, just stripped this would in theory catch them in the act. You could then view the captured footage to see who did it!

The hardest bit would be designing a system that could start instantly or run for long periods without running the battery down.

Did a search on google and it seems that it has been done before though can't find any details for it!

Does anyone know of anything that does this? Do you think it could be a good idea?

I still think one of these 20gb pocket mpeg4 recorders would be the easiest solution. Inexpensive and should record many hours of acceptable quality without draining your battery. Build some kind of circuit which fires off the relavent key-presses to start recording when the alarm is set or central locking clicks or just try to remember to start it recording every time you get out of the car.

I was going to get a cctv camera to mount pointing at the drive, but it would be a good idea to get one on the car somewhere for when you get rammed in a car park!!

Imagine their suprise having reversed into some car in the Asda car park and doing a runner, then getting a letter from their insurance a few days later asking them for an incident form to be completed!! :thumbs: