The mkiv Supra Owners Club

whats wrong or is it normal ?

Suprasteve

Now i'm coming up to the 3rd winter since i bought my car.

I know you can never totally predict when the back kicks out but i'd like to think that i know my own car and i have come learn how to play with it when it happens. As much as i enjoy the fun when it happens it does get on my tits.

In the summer when its dry i can't fault the amazing handling but if the roads are anything other than dry and warm i can't seem to keep the wheels from spinning even in a straight line, they don't just spin they hop and bounce which can't be good for the gearbox, axle etc.. I remember last winter when the performance was almost stock and with brand new eagle F1s (stock 17" wheels) i still could not keep traction in a straight line. It got progressively worse as the weather got colder and wetter. I had to drive on half throttle and change before 4,000 rpm - whats the point owning a car of this calibre and only being able to use it for 6 months of the year.

I've checked the tyre pressures are correct, I'm thinking the shocks could be knackered (yellow (blistein?) shocks.) ?

I don't have an electronic boost controller, i'm planning on getting one asap. Is there one that can control how violent the 2nd wave of boost comes online i.e. slow down the torque as this is when i loose grip.

Before you say get RLTC -

a) can't afford it

b) surely theres a way of keeping it from spining in a straight line in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and even in forth with out the need for RLTC.

please help cos i remember being so pissed off last year to the point of considering selling it !:swear:

I have been wondering the same. My back wheels are out a bit... tried to get tracking done but with no luck. seized up. dont know if this would make a differnece but would love to know the answer. my back wheels are 1.somthing cm out each side ( \ / )

Don't give it full throttle all the time, bring the power in steady so you know you've got traction and power up that way. You should get the feel of it. if the turbos come in suddenly its gonna light up. Bring them on boost slow then plant it.

I do do this in the rain but still all over the place I accept that keeping the power down in the rain is almost impossible but days like today where the weather is not too cold and the roads are dry i'm still having trouble.

I have been wondering the same. My back wheels are out a bit... tried to get tracking done but with no luck. seized up. dont know if this would make a differnece but would love to know the answer. my back wheels are 1.somthing cm out each side ( \ / )

I got my laser alinement and tracking done as i thought it might help - although it was slightly out still don't seem to have made a difference. Bad luck about it being sized, i know how you feel i had problems changing my pads cos of sized parts.:swear:

I've convinced myself it must be the old tired suspension but if a boost controller can be set to bring on the power more gradually rather then full on then i think this would help too.

- thank fukc you can turn the traction control off cos that light green flashing light on the dash would be constently on !

I noticed you live in Essex like me (nothing to be proud off) you should try Elite down the A13 near Dagenham they are brilliant at tracking and stuff, reasonable price too. find their web site on google.

nice one, cheers for that. Ill get the hot and cold treatment to sort it when i uprate the suspension. i find the best way for me has been turbos when i want to have FUN and no turbos (in low gears) when im just chilling..... Winter = less HUGE fuel bills

Steve, from your line "they don't just spin they hop and bounce" it sounds like you are suffering from wheel hop. RLTC might hide this but will not solve the 'real' issue.

Wheel hop means something is going wrong in your suspension or drive train. Most likely a worn damper, suspension component, axle bush or other drivetrain issue. Get it looked at asap as wheel hop could seriously damage your drivetrain.

It might be worth checking your LSD (if your j-spec is fitted with one) is working properly. If it isn't then you're getting power delivered to only one rear wheel when a significant amount of slip detected.

This might explain why your not getting the amount of traction you think you should be getting.

Failing that then you could have some serious suspension problems.... like your springs/shocks are not supporting equal weights... which in turn is causing significant grip level change on your rear tyres. Maybe not from a standinig start but you'd notice this round corner or while weight shifting.

Or the last thing maybe what's already been pointed out.. is that your are simply slamming your foot onto the throttle and not feeding in the power. I see from your sig that you are BPU which would mean that you really do need to feed in the power otherwise the back end is always going to struggle to convert the power into grip.

Steve, what suspension do you have fitted? I'm guessing it is set low and is pretty stiff? Suspension set up plays a key roll in grip levels.

When I had my old Teins, I use to get the rear wheels hopping under hard accelaration in low gear. Now with the HKS Hypermax ii's fitted the rear end has more spring travel and is not as stiff, so under hard accelaration the rear squats slightly and I just get loads of grip. Also saw a massive improvement in cornering grip with the new suspension.

thanks all for your feedback.

The suspension is the factory optional extra yellow toyota shocks and yes they are very stiff.

I thought i had a problem with the gear box and or LSD last year as it made noises in reverse and a small jolt sometimes when i put it in first gear - a machanic had the LSD in bits and said theres nothing wrong with it. Then i read on here that those symtons are just characteristics of the Getrag gear box - if only i'd found this website first, it would have saved me about £400 !

so from your comments it very much sounds like the complete suspension system need replacing....gulp....dare i ask how much it would cost for a half decent set ?

I'm sure it would totally transform the handling but at what cost ? is there a cheaper quick fix ?

as you can probably tell i'm not a tight arse but actually skint.

I'm in the same position Suprasteve.

I've also got the yellow bilsteins and have problems with wheel hop. The only way to avoid it is to pull away more carefully/slowly. That's not much fun though!

I've got Eagle F1's and have tried various tire pressures. I've also replaced all the control arms, bushes, and rear shocks, but that didn't help much.

I dunno if it's related, but I also have a clunk coming from the drivers side rear wheel. I thought replacing all the control arms would sort it out, but it's still there. I keep thinking that's got something to do with the grip/suspension. Also, when I'm on the motorway you can hear a wind type noise coming from the same wheel. Kinda like blowing on a bottle top to create a wind noise. I've had the wheel bearings checked and it's not them.

I'm also interested in any quick fixes :D

I dunno if it's related, but I also have a clunk coming from the drivers side rear wheel. I thought replacing all the control arms would sort it out, but it's still there. I keep thinking that's got something to do with the grip/suspension. Also, when I'm on the motorway you can hear a wind type noise coming from the same wheel. Kinda like blowing on a bottle top to create a wind noise. I've had the wheel bearings checked and it's not them.

I'm also interested in any quick fixes :D

There was something about the top suspension something or other to do with this?

-Ian

ive got standard uk suspension on my supe, and am running bpu, i dont have problems with the tyres lighting up in the wet unless i run my 2nd turbo in, and then thats only if im in 2nd gear, its never hopped about. defo a prob to do withthe suspension i is thinking with your excess wheel spin n hop, the uk suspension is meant to be the softest i think?